Care Sheet Enclosure v. Closed Chamber for New Keeper

Quixx66

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hi All,

I haven't even received my Hermann's tortoise yet but I tend to prepare far in advance. I'm used to scaping and cycling fish tanks so I've already been checking things out for my new tort to be. I want to plant his enclosure from seed so I do want to start ASAP.

Here's my question: I've read the TF Care Sheet for the Hermann's but I still have some questions. It recommended this enclosure.
87227656-e49f-43c0-91b9-2b149535e5bb_1.1b3785b7d09927c22790130ae2130a73.jpeg

I prefer wood. Would an open top wood be too open/dry for a baby? Would a wooden enclosed chamber be too humid for a Hermann's, even a baby?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The Christmas Tree Storage Bin by Iris is great to use for a smaller tortoise. I have a couple of them. If you want to close it in, you just cut holes for the lights/heat in the lid and keep the lid on. Your new little Hermanns doesn't require the same amount of humidity as a leopard or sulcata, but they do benefit from a bit of humidity as hatchlings. Have you already read Chris's care sheet for Hermanns? https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi All,

Here's my question: I've read the TF Care Sheet for the Hermann's but I still have some questions. It recommended this enclosure.

I prefer wood. Would an open top wood be too open/dry for a baby? Would a wooden enclosed chamber be too humid for a Hermann's, even a baby?

Open tort tables are pretty hard to maintain the proper temperatures and humidity. I don't keep Hermanns and haven't given the care sheet an intense read, so I can't remember if Chris says your baby needs a lot of humidity or not.

Quixx66

Louisiana
The Christmas Tree Storage Bin by Iris is great to use for a smaller tortoise. I have a couple of them. If you want to close it in, you just cut holes for the lights/heat in the lid and keep the lid on. Your new little Hermanns doesn't require the same amount of humidity as a leopard or sulcata, but they do benefit from a bit of humidity as hatchlings. Have you already read Chris's care sheet for Hermanns? https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
Thanks for this info. I feel better about using the plastic box with a light and heat now that I know how to do it and that it can be done safely.

I did read the care sheet, but I was not sure about the particulars of how to do it! I probably some better reading comprehension. I need a quick cheat sheet with just the basics. :)