New closed chamber help

Spencertretter

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I need some help with the final parts of my closed chamber I'm building.

I'm having a lot of trouble finding a material that will securely fit stay on all the wood. I need something I can cut and place in weird angles. I did seal the wood but I'm not sure if the product I used will hold up against 90% and up humidity. Since I used acrylic for the windows I would prefer to see out of them with nothing in the way. Any ideas? I will post pictures of the enclosure later tonight.

Also I have a strip light for UVB light but I'm considering changing to a Mercury bulb that does heat + Uvb that fits in a single lamp socket. Would one bulb be able to cover a 4x2 enclosure and provide the light for my plants and baby tortoise?

If you can help with personal experience id greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm not sure what you are asking for with your first question. What is it you need this new material to do? What is it for?

On your second question: MVBs run too hot for use in closed chambers and a single light bulb on one end will probably leave the other end too dark. Best to use a low wattage flood bulb for basking and and a long strip light for light and UV, if needed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I'm reading you correctly, you're looking for a product to seal the wood? One of our members posted a while ago about using those peel and stick floor tiles. They are pretty thin and would be easy to cut into your funny shapes. Also this member then caulked the seams. I'll see if I can find the thread for you...

Here it is:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/leopard-tort-house.90297/

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Tube lighting (florescent) put out some heat as well. I like T5 HO, lots of light, you can get UV tubes and if you get a two tube fixture the 2nd tube can be a high 'K' plant light which works pretty well. I am partial to the 'blue max' they are used for people with SAD as they produce a good color balance.

Most hydroponic/indoor garden stores have the fixtures as singles, doubles, and more. Getting one with a reflector makes a big difference.

Blue max http://www.bluemaxlighting.com/full_spectrum_fluorescent_bulbs_38_ctg.htm

Will

Spencertretter

5 Year Member
I'm not sure what you are asking for with your first question. What is it you need this new material to do? What is it for?

On your second question: MVBs run too hot for use in closed chambers and a single light bulb on one end will probably leave the other end too dark. Best to use a low wattage flood bulb for basking and and a long strip light for light and UV, if needed.

Sorry for the confusion I need a material that won't let the wood rot from the humidity. I bought plastic sheeting but it's difficult to have it on the bottom, sides and also the top of the enclosure. All that it will be used for is keeping the humidity from the wood so it needs to cover all wood on the inside of the tank.

Spencertretter

5 Year Member
If I'm reading you correctly, you're looking for a product to seal the wood? One of our members posted a while ago about using those peel and stick floor tiles. They are pretty thin and would be easy to cut into your funny shapes. Also this member then caulked the seams. I'll see if I can find the thread for you...

Here it is:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/leopard-tort-house.90297/

That may be what I need, thank you for the idea and link!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry for the confusion I need a material that won't let the wood rot from the humidity. I bought plastic sheeting but it's difficult to have it on the bottom, sides and also the top of the enclosure. All that it will be used for is keeping the humidity from the wood so it needs to cover all wood on the inside of the tank.

On some of my closed chambers the bottom and sides are lined with heavy plastic, the the top and sides are exposed plywood. The humidity doesn't harm the wood. Been running them that way for 15 years. On my newest closed chamber I painted the inside with Drylok. So far, so good.

Prairie Mom

We used the laminate floor squares in a closed chamber as well. I used the squares to cover the whole wall. Some of them did loosen with the heat and humidity, so I recommend tacking them up with a finish nailer or staplegun just in case. I'm not sure if I understand what help you need with your acrylic windows. I used them also. I'll post photos I have of our chamber and see if this helps you at all...
smaller mavis closed chamber.jpg

ben putting tile in mavis enclosure.jpg

mavis chamber w plants.jpg
The pie plate water dish is not recommended. It was only temporary until I replaced it with a non-slippery planter bottom.

Spencertretter

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone for the replies, this is what I have so far.
Just put the coco fiber in on the 3.5 millimeter plastic sheet. I mounted the UVB strip light, still need to mount the basking light and CHE light. Any suggestions on how to mount those? Will be controlling those with a temp controller. I also have a humidifier pushing cool mist in however, after a few minutes the enclosure is completely fogged up.. Going to add hides soon:) hopefully ordering a red foot from Tortoise Supply early next week:D

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1441995234.535196.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1441995246.648521.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1441995254.896507.jpg