Can tortoises hear and respond to hearing.

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
Wow, so the person who said you can heal from the covid. We should try injecting bleach into our veins
was that misinformation?
actually i believe that person said "disinfectant" , but bleach made for a better talking point ..........i'm pretty sure the misinformation is "bleach" ?

antibiotics , antivirals and light are all "disinfectants" phototherapy is for real ........

MarginatedMooney

Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina USA
It's common for my marginated tortoise to turn his head toward me and look at me if I say something to him. It could also be because he sees me, but it does seem like he's responding to my voice because it's pretty consistent. I could be sitting there and he's not looking at me until I say something.
I've also woken him up before by making noise in his enclosure when he was asleep. Just this morning, I was putting his food out before he was awake and I bumped the dish I use to transport his food with against his slate and it made a noise that woke him up.
I do feel like he can "hear" somewhat, but I think it might be more like feeling sound waves than truly hearing like we do.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's common for my marginated tortoise to turn his head toward me and look at me if I say something to him. It could also be because he sees me, but it does seem like he's responding to my voice because it's pretty consistent. I could be sitting there and he's not looking at me until I say something.
I've also woken him up before by making noise in his enclosure when he was asleep. Just this morning, I was putting his food out before he was awake and I bumped the dish I use to transport his food with against his slate and it made a noise that woke him up.
I do feel like he can "hear" somewhat, but I think it might be more like feeling sound waves than truly hearing like we do.
The test would be sound from other room with no movement or visual cues of any kind. You'd need a camera to see if the tortoise was responding.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
None of my Redfoot respond to my voice. And when I want their attention. Like at feeding time, I'll announce myself and Tap on the wooden wall of the enclosure. And they all pop up. Without the tapping or banging, i can get very loud and there will be no movement except in the tortoises that see me. Or get excited when they see the food. So I'm pretty sure it's the tapping.
My wife, however can just say "Julio" and wherever my big male is, he'll come looking for her. And since he most often can not see her. He's usually hiding somewhere. I'm theorizing that it's the tone or the pitch of her voice.
My wife almost never feeds the tortoises and she's really almost never even in the back yard. So it's a little puzzling how well her voice gets at least that one tortoises attention. Especially since I'm the dude that brings all of the good food! So, WHY does Julio come rushing out for her? What are his intentions? I don't know. But he "hears" her.
Because of this. I truly believe that SOME tortoises can and do hear SOME owners voices.
WHAT they actually hear? That I do not know.
Hopefully I haven't stepped on anyone's toes on this thread. But I thought I should mention my experience.

Last edited:

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
why i think it is obvious that tortoises do hear.....

#1 they have complex ears
#2 they vocalize
#4 folks have implanted sensors in the hearing center of their brains and exposed them to different frequencies and gotten a response at certain frequencies
#5 they've been recorded obviously communicating between burrows

as far as not responding to sounds , my dogs often do not respond to sounds........
seem to be an agreement they can "hear" sonic booms , they've been shown not to respond to sonic booms and plane fly overs ........ tortoises obviously have a very different "fight or flight" response than what would normally come to mind ........ we cannot hear infrasound and ultrasound , does that mean we're deaf ?????

During a conversation, the fundamental frequency of a typical adult man ranges from 80 to 180 Hz and that of a typical adult woman from 165 to 255 Hz
The frequency range perceivable to the tortoises lies between 10 and 182 Hz.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
The word was indeed disinfectant.
But the question was based in pure ignorance. (In my opinion)
i'd bet a majority of the people using that "quote" don't know it's not a quote........ bleach is a "spin" , when i catch folks trying to spin stuff with untrue information , to me they have an agenda and have lost all credibility.

dis·in·fect·ant

NOUN
  1. a chemical liquid that destroys bacteria:

ADJECTIVE
1. causing the destruction of bacteria:

Wpagey

Southern California
give it read or find a shorter paper on hearing in tortoises, there are plenty of others .... if you were to read this paper you would see it is not only about "sonic booms", it describes how tortoises hear ????
"As it is clear that desert tortoises hear relatively well and are responsive to sounds in the environment

what would you imagine the purpose of this organ below is ?????
lb2005.jpg

"
Uh Oh...science! Tortoises have ears, and they can hear. What they experience in there MIGHT just be different than the human experience. The world is WAY bigger than just humans it turns out...

Wpagey

Southern California
We have a member here named @GBtortoises who had some scientists come out to his place to test this. They set up tests where there was no visual and no other cues to see how his tortoises would respond to his voice alone, as well as other sounds. 100% of his tortoises showed no response to his voice or any other sound, but they did respond to visual cues.

This is described in an old thread here on the forum.

Here is one reference:
"I agree with Yvonne that the biting behavior is most likely the association with food. That is pretty common. There is no doubt that she can see you well from a distance. Tortoises have excellent eyesite and smell. Those two senses alone are what enables them to find food. As for the sense of hearing, it's extremly doubtful that you tortoise actually hears your voice. Tortoises simply don't have true hearing as many other animals with open ear canals do. They do feel low tone sounds and vibration through their "ears", feet and shells. Chances are your tortoise was acting on scent when it came to the screen door."

That was from this thread:

Here is another thread where GB talks about the experiments that were conducted:

And another at post #16:

Ever since hearing about this from GB in 2010, I have been on the look out for any evidence that our tortoises can hear sounds. I haven't found any. I've tried yelling, clapping, high pitch voice, low pitch voice, whistling. Nothing. I try warning them that I'm walking toward them from behind, and they don't hear me at all. They startle every time I come up behind them as if they had no idea I was there. I have never tried this with any turtle, so it may be different for them. If I stomp or pound my fist on something, they react to that, but they don't seem to "hear" any sounds that I have seen.
I would enjoy reading the report that these scientists published after this scientific experiment was conducted. These links to threads are not yielding anything useful.

California
None of my Redfoot respond to my voice. And when I want their attention. Like at feeding time, I'll announce myself and Tap on the wooden wall of the enclosure. And they all pop up. Without the tapping or banging, i can get very loud and there will be no movement except in the tortoises that see me. Or get excited when they see the food. So I'm pretty sure it's the tapping.
My wife, however can just say "Julio" and wherever my big male is, he'll come looking for her. And since he most often can not see her. He's usually hiding somewhere. I'm theorizing that it's the tone or the pitch of her voice.
My wife almost never feeds the tortoises and she's really almost never even in the back yard. So it's a little puzzling how well her voice gets at least that one tortoises attention. Especially since I'm the dude that brings all of the good food! So, WHY does Julio come rushing out for her? What are his intentions? I don't know. But he "hears" her.
Because of this. I truly believe that SOME tortoises can and do hear SOME owners voices.
Hopefully I haven't stepped on anyone's toes on this thread. But I thought I should mention my experience.
newbie lurker tort mom chiming in :)
( so grateful for all the knowledgeable people that give advise here, I have learnt so much from you all )
I love learning new things and this is a topic I have been reading on since yesterday.

it is the same with our little RT ~ we've had him not more than 3 months ( 5-8 yr old per vet ), me and hubby take turns to feed him, clean his water bowl etc, so he is already used to us being around and moving stuff around.

I noticed that when I call him by his name ( Darwin ), he doesn't respond, but for some reason he is full attention when I call him ( perhaps female voice and high pitched as previous replies states by @ZEROPILOT ), not with his given name but other names we call him xD ( koochooloo - in Farsi means "the little one" - I speak Armenian, Farsi and English to him ). 8 out of 10 times he will lift his head to look my way or look straight at me when I'm talking to him.

Different story with hubby, Darwin usually ignores him mostly, and all the talks and continues to do his thing.

so he def is hearing us talk, or mostly me lol

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes. I think that's their way of hearing. Soundwaves, changes of pressure in the air when a door opens or closes, etc. Even vibrations from people walking in the house. My brother is totally deaf and he can feel those types of things. His eyes catch everything and all that makes it seem like he can hear. I don't have great hearing either but I can feel the air pressure changes too and know when a car door opens or closes even if I didn't hear it.

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
i think its the tone and or vibrational waves we put out personally but i want to believe my fella can hear me lol im gonna start testing out theories xD

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
i think its the tone and or vibrational waves we put out personally but i want to believe my fella can hear me lol im gonna start testing out theories xD
Maybe their shell is part of how they hear and comprehend. They can feel the vibrations coming from the earth even though they are on a table. I know my tortoise still knows the seasons even though he's high enough off the floor to not feel the cold. And...Even though I know a tortoise can't hear truely it's hard for me to sneak up on him. If he's sleeping I can once in a great while. So those beady little eyes catching every inflection of light and shadows also contribute to his hearing.🤗

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
Maybe their shell is part of how they hear and comprehend. They can feel the vibrations coming from the earth even though they are on a table. I know my tortoise still knows the seasons even though he's high enough off the floor to not feel the cold. And...Even though I know a tortoise can't hear truely it's hard for me to sneak up on him. If he's sleeping I can once in a great while. So those beady little eyes catching every inflection of light and shadows also contribute to his hearing.🤗
The little beaty eyes always make me melt lmao