Can tortoises hear and respond to hearing.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Balto. MD
MODERATOR NOTE: THIS THREAD WAS SPLIT OFF FROM ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT A TOTALLY DIFFERENT SUBJECT. BECAUSE THE FORUM'S PROGRAM SORTS POSTS BY DATE, IT LOOKS LIKE WARREN INITIATED THE THREAD, BUT MODERATORS INITIATED THE THREAD.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230721_194001_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230721_194001_Google.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't understand why you say that tortoises can't hear, My Sammy will respond to my voice quicker than my wife's voice, I speak a little louder than my wife. Sammy is always bothering me when he hears noises that I make doing things, I may be wrong. I believe he can hear, just my opinion.Here is something off the internet.
I'd like to have seen the source of that. Is it even a reliable source? Cuz I doubt it.
From my understanding they don't hear with ears, they hear by feeling vibrations.
I have lots of loud noises around my tortoises at jany various times and it doesn't startle them nor do they even act like they heard anything, unless it's something that they could possibly feel a vibration and then it's no movement of being startled.
Btw, my tortoise respond to me much faster than my hub or son or anyone else. That's because I'm the main caregiver. Familiar look, sound, smells, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't understand why you say that tortoises can't hear, My Sammy will respond to my voice quicker than my wife's voice, I speak a little louder than my wife. Sammy is always bothering me when he hears noises that I make doing things, I may be wrong. I believe he can hear, just my opinion.Here is something off the internet.
We have a member here named @GBtortoises who had some scientists come out to his place to test this. They set up tests where there was no visual and no other cues to see how his tortoises would respond to his voice alone, as well as other sounds. 100% of his tortoises showed no response to his voice or any other sound, but they did respond to visual cues.

This is described in an old thread here on the forum.

Here is one reference:
"I agree with Yvonne that the biting behavior is most likely the association with food. That is pretty common. There is no doubt that she can see you well from a distance. Tortoises have excellent eyesite and smell. Those two senses alone are what enables them to find food. As for the sense of hearing, it's extremly doubtful that you tortoise actually hears your voice. Tortoises simply don't have true hearing as many other animals with open ear canals do. They do feel low tone sounds and vibration through their "ears", feet and shells. Chances are your tortoise was acting on scent when it came to the screen door."

That was from this thread:

Here is another thread where GB talks about the experiments that were conducted:

And another at post #16:

Ever since hearing about this from GB in 2010, I have been on the look out for any evidence that our tortoises can hear sounds. I haven't found any. I've tried yelling, clapping, high pitch voice, low pitch voice, whistling. Nothing. I try warning them that I'm walking toward them from behind, and they don't hear me at all. They startle every time I come up behind them as if they had no idea I was there. I have never tried this with any turtle, so it may be different for them. If I stomp or pound my fist on something, they react to that, but they don't seem to "hear" any sounds that I have seen.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
turtles and tortoise hear .... the thought they don't is ridiculous .......
The way I understand, is they have a drum like spot on each side of the head called the cutaneous plates . These areas pick up vibrations. The lower the sound, the more likely it will vibrate the plate.
So in a sense tortoises do hear, just not like a human.
Obbie sorry for going off topic. 😁

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The way I understand, is they have a drum like spot on each side of the head called the cutaneous plates . These areas pick up vibrations. The lower the sound, the more likely it will vibrate the plate.
So in a sense tortoises do hear, just not like a human.
Obbie sorry for going off topic. 😁
By definition, That isn't "hearing". That would be feeling. No doubt they can feel vibrations through the ground, but can they "hear" voices which are sound waves transmitted in air? GB's evidence says no, and so does my own experimentation.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
By definition, That isn't "hearing". That would be feeling. No doubt they can feel vibrations through the ground, but can they "hear" voices which are sound waves transmitted in air? GB's evidence says no, and so does my own experimentation.

Interesting thread - out of curiosity… I used to have “headphones” that played music while I would swim, but the didn’t go in the ears, they went on the cheekbones/temple part of your head And conducted the sound through bone, i definitely “heard” my music, lyrics and all. Would you consider that to be “hearing”?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Interesting thread - out of curiosity… I used to have “headphones” that played music while I would swim, but the didn’t go in the ears, they went on the cheekbones/temple part of your head And conducted the sound through bone, i definitely “heard” my music, lyrics and all. Would you consider that to be “hearing”?
Well that sort of blurs the line, doesn't it?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
a turtle or tortoise doesn't have a rudimentary ear , they have complex ears , as complex as your dogs or yours ..... at this time it's pretty well understood how and what they hear ........ the information on this is overwhelming .........

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
as too the op concerns, breeding a tortoise is not a bad thing for a tortoise or turtle , not breeding can lead to as many if not more problems ...the unethical part would more so be all the babies produced ... to breed them regularly they'd need reasonably good care ..... hopefully you find her a good home ....

as to your tortoise hearing , they hear , you could take that to the bank ......

Middle Ear Cavity Morphology Is Consistent with an Aquatic Origin for Testudines

Middle ear cavities are also interesting from the perspective of understanding how a major vertebrate group processes sound. Hearing has been documented in multiple species of testudines, demonstrating that these animals have auditory sensitivity, albeit with higher thresholds in air than those of other reptiles [9]. Six testudine species have published in air audiograms (Table 2), with best hearing frequencies below 1000 Hz (around 400–600 Hz). There is much to be learned about how the testudine middle ear responds to sound underwater. Laser vibrometry studies, perhaps from post-mortem samples from a variety of species, could be used to test the hypothesis that both turtle and tortoise ears would respond well to underwater sound. The fossil specimens without isolated middle ear cavities could represent either the ancestral diapsid condition, or a secondary loss. As more extinct species are discovered, answers to this question should become clearer.

pone.0054086.t002.PNG_L

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
as too the op concerns, breeding a tortoise is not a bad thing for a tortoise or turtle , not breeding can lead to as many if not more problems ...the unethical part would more so be all the babies produced ... to breed them regularly they'd need reasonably good care ..... hopefully you find her a good home ....

as to your tortoise hearing , they hear , you could take that to the bank ......

Middle Ear Cavity Morphology Is Consistent with an Aquatic Origin for Testudines

Middle ear cavities are also interesting from the perspective of understanding how a major vertebrate group processes sound. Hearing has been documented in multiple species of testudines, demonstrating that these animals have auditory sensitivity, albeit with higher thresholds in air than those of other reptiles [9]. Six testudine species have published in air audiograms (Table 2), with best hearing frequencies below 1000 Hz (around 400–600 Hz). There is much to be learned about how the testudine middle ear responds to sound underwater. Laser vibrometry studies, perhaps from post-mortem samples from a variety of species, could be used to test the hypothesis that both turtle and tortoise ears would respond well to underwater sound. The fossil specimens without isolated middle ear cavities could represent either the ancestral diapsid condition, or a secondary loss. As more extinct species are discovered, answers to this question should become clearer.

pone.0054086.t002.PNG_L
All turtles here Mark...

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
overwhelming science based information available on this subject .....

UNITED STATES AIR FORCE RESEARCH LABORATORY EFFECTS OF FLIGHT NOISE FROM JET AIRCRAFT AND SONIC BOOMS ON HEARING, BEHAVIOR, HEART RATE, AND OXYGEN CONSUMPTION OF DESERT TORTOISES (GOPHERUS AGASSIZII)

As it is clear that desert tortoises hear relatively well and are responsive to sounds in the environment, their sensory ecology should be examined. What are the meaningful natural sounds that they respond to? How well can they learn to recognize the acoustic signature ofsignificant natural sounds and ignore irrelevant human-made noise?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

UNITED STATES AIR FORCE RESEARCH LABORATORY EFFECTS OF FLIGHT NOISE FROM JET AIRCRAFT AND SONIC BOOMS ON HEARING, BEHAVIOR, HEART RATE, AND OXYGEN CONSUMPTION OF DESERT TORTOISES (GOPHERUS AGASSIZII)

As it is clear that desert tortoises hear relatively well and are responsive to sounds in the environment, their sensory ecology should be examined. What are the meaningful natural sounds that they respond to? How well can they learn to recognize the acoustic signature ofsignificant natural sounds and ignore irrelevant human-made noise?
I can find you scientific studies from the late 90s that say Global Warming is going to kill us all and destroy the earth by 2020 too. Al Gore said so on TV. Right after he got done inventing the internet.

I have no doubt that tortoises can feel sonic booms and jet plane vibrations. Deaf humans can feel that too. It still doesn't mean they can hear our voices.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
give it read or find a shorter paper on hearing in tortoises, there are plenty of others .... if you were to read this paper you would see it is not only about "sonic booms", it describes how tortoises hear ????
"As it is clear that desert tortoises hear relatively well and are responsive to sounds in the environment

what would you imagine the purpose of this organ below is ?????
lb2005.jpg

"

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

I live fairly close to O'Hare airport. Planes flying over all the time. I can hear and feel them. No doubt they are feeling the jets and sonic booms.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
give it read or find a shorter paper on hearing in tortoises, there are plenty of others .... if you were to read this paper you would see it is not only about "sonic booms", it describes how tortoises hear ????
"As it is clear that desert tortoises hear relatively well and are responsive to sounds in the environment

what would you imagine the purpose of this organ below is ?????
lb2005.jpg

"
As we've seen with the recent covid nonsense, "scientific facts" can be easily manipulated to suit ones political agenda. I'm really not interested in reading the material you keep linking when I can see what I see with my own eyes right on front of my face. As has always been the case with tortoise care, some seemingly logical scientific information has not served us well. Andy Highfield in his most uppity voice called "the whole humidity thing" a "red herring" and compared the people who believed such non-sense to those who believe in UFOs and extra-terrestrial life. He had all sorts of scientific citations and weather data graphs and charts to back up his incorrect point of view, along with a very convincing argument. Turns out he was wrong anyway, and admitted as much within a year or two after.

Likewise, all the government field researchers and scientists who write the care sheets for DTs give out information that is fatal if followed, and fail to understand how hatchlings utilize different microclimates than what is found at the top of a 2 meter high weather station. They seem to also fail to realize that even if they are correct about living conditions for hatchings, 99% or more of those hatchings do not survive.

I think its great to understand the science behind any area of interest, but its also prudent to be leery of human error masked with scientific facts. Likewise, it is foolish to ignore ones own observations because of something someone wrote in a scientific paper.

If our tortoises can hear so well, why do they completely ignore sounds from behind them, and then react with a startle as soon as me or my shadow enters their visual plane? And I'm only referring to tortoises. I have never tried these things with any turtle species, and I would not be surprised to discover they are different. Your links don't negate my own real world observations Mark.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
As we've seen with the recent covid nonsense, "scientific facts" can be easily manipulated to suit ones political agenda. I'm really not interested in reading the material you keep linking when I can see what I see with my own eyes right on front of my face. As has always been the case with tortoise care, some seemingly logical scientific information has not served us well. Andy Highfield in his most uppity voice called "the whole humidity thing" a "red herring" and compared the people who believed such non-sense to those who believe in UFOs and extra-terrestrial life. He had all sorts of scientific citations and weather data graphs and charts to back up his incorrect point of view, along with a very convincing argument. Turns out he was wrong anyway, and admitted as much within a year or two after.

Likewise, all the government field researchers and scientists who write the care sheets for DTs give out information that is fatal if followed, and fail to understand how hatchlings utilize different microclimates than what is found at the top of a 2 meter high weather station. They seem to also fail to realize that even if they are correct about living conditions for hatchings, 99% or more of those hatchings do not survive.

I think its great to understand the science behind any area of interest, but its also prudent to be leery of human error masked with scientific facts. Likewise, it is foolish to ignore ones own observations because of something someone wrote in a scientific paper.

If our tortoises can hear so well, why do they completely ignore sounds from behind them, and then react with a startle as soon as me or my shadow enters their visual plane? And I'm only referring to tortoises. I have never tried these things with any turtle species, and I would not be surprised to discover they are different. Your links don't negate my own real world observations Mark.
Wow, so the person who said you can heal from the covid. We should try injecting bleach into our veins
was that misinformation?

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
First, why would someone yell at a tortoise?
Second, tortoises can't hear, even if someone did yell at them.
Last, what's wrong with reproduction?
My Hermann's Tortoise responds when I whistle and when the cats meow in the same room. Sometimes he won't react when he's asleep, but if he is awake or just lightly napping he will open his eyes and look around toward the source of the sound. He will also sometimes jump and retract completely into his shell if there is a loud sound like snapping fingers or a door being closed loudly (or slammed) elsewhere in the house. There's no way he could be responding to vibrations as we are not in contact with his enclosure when it happens, and the enclosure stand is sitting on a concrete floor and not touching any walls so the doors slamming can't cause vibration in his indoor cage either...

My old Jordanian Greek would come running when I rang the "dinner bell" as she knew that it was time to be fed. I don't know if she reacted much to other sounds as I never really payed attention enough to test it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My Hermann's Tortoise responds when I whistle and when the cats meow in the same room. Sometimes he won't react when he's asleep, but if he is awake or just lightly napping he will open his eyes and look around toward the source of the sound. He will also sometimes jump and retract completely into his shell if there is a loud sound like snapping fingers or a door being closed loudly (or slammed) elsewhere in the house. There's no way he could be responding to vibrations as we are not in contact with his enclosure when it happens, and the enclosure stand is sitting on a concrete floor and not touching any walls so the doors slamming can't cause vibration in his indoor cage either...

My old Jordanian Greek would come running when I rang the "dinner bell" as she knew that it was time to be fed. I don't know if she reacted much to other sounds as I never really payed attention enough to test it.
This first hand observation carries much more wight with me than a link to a scientific paper found on the internet. Thanks for adding this to the discussion.

I have not tried these things on any Testudo species, so I wonder if Hermanni and other Testudo hear better than sulcatas, leopards, stars, and radiata. My little Chersina male was quite shy, and he never seemed to know I was there unless he saw me. No amount of talking, whistling or clapping would get a reaction if he wasn't able to see me. Once he saw me, he'd usually run for cover.

Likewise, I've never tried to test this on a DT either. If different species hear differently, this could account for the disagreement on this thread about the subject of tortoise hearing. It is obvious to me that the species I keep can't hear a damm thing. A herd of elephants could sneak up behind them without sneaking, yet your hemanni responded to your whistle. Are you sure it wasn't responding to the approach of your foot steps, or a visual cue? If you stood very still for several minutes and whistled from another room where you can't see the tortoise and it can't see you, would it react?