Can they eat.......??

scubaMO

I have read the leafy things but can sulcatas eat cucumber? Green onion? Tomato? Bell pepper? I know they can eat broccoli, but what about Cauliflower?

Thanks!!

rearlpettway

This is from the tortoise table.
Common name : Cauliflower
Latin name : Brassica oleracea (Botrytis Group)
Family name : Brassicaceae/Cruciferae

Cauliflower (contains goitrogens that can interfere with thyroid activity and could damage the liver and kidneys. Therefore, although Cauliflower is not actually toxic, we would advise you not to feed it to your tortoise.

Sent from Rodney Earl Pettway's iPad using TortForum

rearlpettway

No celery and brusel sprouts.

Sent from Rodney Earl Pettway's iPad using TortForum

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have read the leafy things but can sulcatas eat cucumber? Green onion? Tomato? Bell pepper? I know they can eat broccoli, but what about Cauliflower?

Thanks!!

They "can" eat all of those things, but none of those things should make of anything more than a rare treat. None of those foods are "good" for them, but they can eat them in small amounts once in a while without harm.

scubaMO

I snip my yard grass and put it on the spring mix and I even bought the wheat grass and did the same..but I think I read spring mix and stuff isn't good for them daily

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It doesn't need to be variety every day. Variety over a period of time is fine. In the wild they will eat what they find and that might mean porking out on a particular plant in season and then finding something else when that's gone.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How do I squire that stuff? Sounds so foreign in california
I'm in CA and I feed all of that stuff. Mulberry trees, grape vines, and hibiscus are everywhere. I'll bet you have friends, family and neighbors with those plants in their yards right now. As far as weeds, you'll need to spend some time learning them. There is an app called "garden compass" that can be very helpful. Or you can take samples to your local garden center and ask the expert. If you post pics here, we can tell you some of them too.

scubaMO

Okay cool! Thank you for the info on that app! I'll look into it! I work in a produce department, what do you recommend??

scubaMO

I'm in CA and I feed all of that stuff. Mulberry trees, grape vines, and hibiscus are everywhere. I'll bet you have friends, family and neighbors with those plants in their yards right now. As far as weeds, you'll need to spend some time learning them. There is an app called "garden compass" that can be very helpful. Or you can take samples to your local garden center and ask the expert. If you post pics here, we can tell you some of them too.

Okay cool! Thank you for the info on that app! I'll look into it! I work in a produce department, what do you recommend??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I recommend you feed all the stuff on my list and leave the groceries for the humans. :)

Seriously though. Grocery store foods are not the best thing for them. Very low in fiber and lacking in many of the nutrients they need. If you must use grocery store stuff, use a wide variety. I like endive and escarole best, but also mustard, turnip and collard greens, cilantro, celery and carrot tops, kale, bok choy, chard, watercress, arugula and some occasional lettuces. I recommend you add chopped fresh grass, blended grass hay, or soaked ZooMed Grassland pellets mixed in with any of the above to add some much needed fiber. Just use LOTS of variety.

Living where you live, you have a much easier time than many people in other parts of the country finding good foods. I know it takes some effort to learn which weds and leaves to feed, and where to find them, but it really is the best thing for your tortoise and its FREE!!!