Can they be introduced?

aidenb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan, Canada
I've got a male in a large pen and our second largest (of three, all currently housed separately) is finally big enough to try introducing to the largest. I just want some opinions on sex, if it's male I'll keep them separate as the largest is for sure a male) otherwise if it's female I'll try introducing them together in the largest pen. Thoughts?

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not house them as a pair regardless of sexes. Trios and groups usually work fine, but pairs usually do not.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks female to me, but my average isn't the best. One male to one female is not good, the male will pester your female to illness or death. So, yes, please wait to see what the other is.
@N2TORTS or @allegraf might be able to confirm sex.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
That one looks like a boy to me. If it is a girl, it is way too small to successfully pass an egg. Think of an egg as being the size of a ping pong ball. If it is a girl and does develop eggs, she may get egg bound and may die. Post pictures of the others so we can see if they are all boys, girls etc.

aidenb

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
The thirds just a baby so far too young to sex. So general consensus is male? Looks like they'll just have to always remain separate.