Can someone help me identify this tortoise?

Buff wiggins

5 Year Member
This tortoise was given to me by a family who wasn't able to take care of him anymore. I am leaning toward sulcata but could use some expert help. I live in Southern California and sulcatas are popular down here. I know pet stores sell Russian box tortoises around here but I don't think they got him from a store.

Also first post. Looking forward to being a member of this community. Thanks. image.jpegimage.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Yup, it's a sulcata, and from the looks of him he's been kept very dry. He will benefit greatly from daily soaks of about 30 minutes for two weeks or so, then you can go daily for about 15 minutes. Also, if that's spinach in the picture, here's what Kristina has to say about spinach: " "Don't feed your tortoises spinach - it is bad for them." I see this statement a lot and it is completely incorrect. Spinach is just fine as part of a varied diet. It does have a higher concentration of oxalic acid, but the nutrition that it provides greatly outweighs any bad effects. Spinach is high in Vitamin A and Vitamin C. It contains Calcium, Potassium, and Omega 3 fatty acids. It also has a high water content. Spinach also is high in protein - which is what has lead to the mythology of spinach being "bad." For decades, it was thought that excess protein in the diet was the cause for pyramiding. We have found in recent years that this is less than true. Vegetable protein will not harm your tortoises. "

So, to sum up, spinach is ok to feed your tortoise as long as it's part of a varied diet, and not the sole ingredient.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

A cute tort, you've got. GOD bless.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Buff wiggins

5 Year Member
Yvonne - Thank you for the advice. We soaked him last night and it helped him relieve himself. He's been digging a hole to China and drying himself out. I will continue to soak him regularly.

Gillian - yes is is super cute. I am very happy to find out he's a sulcata I've wanted one for years.

Tom - great info. Really opened my eyes to the fact that he is a baby and needs extra attention.

Brian - my guess is under a year but I'm really not sure.

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
You're the kind of person that likes to spoil your tort :) I am too. Soaks will help, as Yvonne has said, but there is also this really great lotion that tortoises LOVE and it make a tremendous difference in the appearance of your baby. It is called Turtle Shell Saver and it is made by Nature Zone. I use it after I give Lily her bath and she absolutely loves the extra attention. I put a generous amount on her shell and a dab on her head (that's where most of the dry skin appears).

Buff wiggins

5 Year Member
Lily -

Sheldons diet consists mostly of grass. I was lucky enough to have a yard where I tried to get just about every type of grass to grow at one time so he has a wide variety to choose from, including weeds. Other than that we give him spring mix here and there and also a few fresh grape tomatoes off a nearby plant. I have a supplemental multivitamin powder and calcium that the person that gave him to me passed along but I haven't used it yet. In his enclosure I have basil, cilantro, aloe, hibiscus, and st Augustine grass growing, but he hasn't warmed up to any of them too much yet. I will look into your suggestion about the lotion thank you.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Lily -

Sheldons diet consists mostly of grass. I was lucky enough to have a yard where I tried to get just about every type of grass to grow at one time so he has a wide variety to choose from, including weeds. Other than that we give him spring mix here and there and also a few fresh grape tomatoes off a nearby plant. I have a supplemental multivitamin powder and calcium that the person that gave him to me passed along but I haven't used it yet. In his enclosure I have basil, cilantro, aloe, hibiscus, and st Augustine grass growing, but he hasn't warmed up to any of them too much yet. I will look into your suggestion about the lotion thank you.
Grass is the best thing for them. If you have enough stuff growing, there is no need to give him spring mix. He might be too little to get the hibiscus and other plants himself yet. Maybe you need to tear it up. There is calcium in grass. You can get him to try new foods by mixing them with foods he likes.