Can someone help me identify the species please?

Lady Kay

Hiya everyone,

I need some help identifying the species of my little buddy here so we can give him the care he needs. We found him on the street so that's why he's in a temporary box. We plan to take him to the vet asap but as we are both at work, we have to wait. (That's why he's sitting on my work desk)

Many thanks,
Kayleigh

forum cc.jpg forum russian b.jpg

Attachments

• forum russian a.jpg
    forum russian a.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:

Lady Kay

@Lady Kay

I think you need to have another go at posting the pictures. They're not working in the browser version of the forum either

EDIT
These work though :)

Sorry I'm new to this. I'm just worried about him :3 I've had to look after every fluffy and feathered animal under the sun but this all new to me and wanted to get some experienced advice.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kayleigh, and welcome to the Forum!

That little Russian tortoise is someone's lost or escaped pet. You need to try to find its owner. Post fliers on the utility poles around the neighborhood where he was found. You can also place free craigslist.com ads and most newspapers will post free 'found' ads too.

Lady Kay

Hi Kayleigh, and welcome to the Forum!

That little Russian tortoise is someone's lost or escaped pet. You need to try to find its owner. Post fliers on the utility poles around the neighborhood where he was found. You can also place free craigslist.com ads and most newspapers will post free 'found' ads too.

That's why we was going to go to the vet first on the way home. I still need to know how to take care of him while we find his owner :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi there and welcome from Texas. Glad you have found us. Go to the main menu here on your left side, click on "browse" and go to "species specific", there you will find great info on caring for Russian tortoise. Keep him warm and safe from eating non food items and from running away (so safe enclosure), give him shallow water dish (terracotta plant saucers are best) and follow the care sheet instructions for feeding. Leafy greans are always good choice. Also in case he's been out a while you may want to give him a nice warm soak for 20 min (lukewarm not hot water) in a tub or container, enough water to reach up to his shell. This provides them with extra hydration. In his enclosure give him something to burrow in or dark place to hide and feel safe. I hope you find his family soon.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, to you and your cute Russian tort!:)

Please give your tort daily soaks in warm water; as I have noticed he's slightly pyramiding. And take more care if the climate is hot and dry, as torts need humidity. By the way where do you live?

Lady Kay

A very warm welcome to the forum, to you and your cute Russian tort!:)

Please give your tort daily soaks in warm water; as I have noticed he's slightly pyramiding. And take more care if the climate is hot and dry, as torts need humidity. By the way where do you live?

Thankyou for everyone's help, made this a lot less stressful. I live in Hertfordshire, England.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thankyou for everyone's help, made this a lot less stressful. I live in Hertfordshire, England.
Seeing that you live in the U.K, please make sure that your tort is warm enough.

Last edited by a moderator: