Location (City and/or State)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Hi guys! I am getting a Hermanns tortoise in August and wanted to make sure that these random plants in my garden are safe for him/her to eat. If you could help that would be awesome! (Also sorry if the camera quality sucks I took these on my computer so they aren't the best :/ )

Fyi I have done heaps of research on Hermanns tortoise and know most of the stuff they can and can't eat. (And if I didn't I would always make sure with the breeder) I'm only asking here because I have no idea what these plants are lol! :):tort:
Thanks!WIN_20230614_16_46_35_Pro.jpgWIN_20230614_16_46_57_Pro.jpgWIN_20230614_16_47_12_Pro.jpgWIN_20230614_16_47_24_Pro.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We would have to see the plant in situ. Very hard to tell from leaves. Not sure but I'm thinking 'no' on all of them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi guys! I am getting a Hermanns tortoise in August and wanted to make sure that these random plants in my garden are safe for him/her to eat. If you could help that would be awesome! (Also sorry if the camera quality sucks I took these on my computer so they aren't the best :/ )

Fyi I have done heaps of research on Hermanns tortoise and know most of the stuff they can and can't eat. (And if I didn't I would always make sure with the breeder) I'm only asking here because I have no idea what these plants are lol! :):tort:
Thanks!View attachment 357985View attachment 357986View attachment 357987View attachment 357988
1. The first one is broadleaf plantain. Excellent tortoise food.
2. The next one looks like cilantro. What does it smell like? As Yvonne said, a pic of the plant still in the ground might help.
3. The pic is too blurry and the leaf pieces are broken or cut, but it looks like it might be something in the dandelion family. Need a better pic to be able to tell.
4. Too blurry. Can't see it at all.

1. The first one is broadleaf plantain. Excellent tortoise food.
2. The next one looks like cilantro. What does it smell like? As Yvonne said, a pic of the plant still in the ground might help.
3. The pic is too blurry and the leaf pieces are broken or cut, but it looks like it might be something in the dandelion family. Need a better pic to be able to tell.
4. Too blurry. Can't see it at all.
1. I googled broadleaf plantain and that's definitely it, thank you!!
2. isn't cilantro, again idk what plant it is and it just smells like grass definitely not a herb lol.
3 and 4 when I have time i Iwill take better photos on my phone (maybe sometime today)
Thanks for your help!

Ok so, I just found out that 2. is this weird plant called " Dove's-foot crane's-bill " Google says it's ok to feed, but id still like your opinion. And number 4 is " yarrow" I didn't realize (because it didn't have any flowers) won't be feeding that lol.

Last edited: