can i keep red eared slider with indian star tortoise..

CHETAN

guys i hve a baby red eared slider about 1 inch... and a star tortoise which is near by to 1 and half inches....can i keep these both together in a single pen..... will it harm them or will cause stress..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Will the star tortoise be drinking the water that the red ear slider lives in? I don't see how it would be possible to have a red ear slider (a turtle that lives in water and has to be under water in order to swallow its food), and a land dwelling tortoise such as a star tortoise, live in the same habitat. It's worse than apples and oranges.

So, to answer your question, no, in my opinion, you should not keep a red eared slider in the same habitat with a star tortoise.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I would say, no. Red Eared Sliders are generally deep water turtles, like ponds. A tortoise would drown in this pond as they are land dwellers.
Their habitats ate very different.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
If you do, you will either drown the star or dehydrate and starve the RES. Two entirely different animals. What you are asking is like asking if you can keep a hamster and a goldfish in the same bowl. Your baby RES has to live in water with access to land while your Star has to live on land with access to water. I suppose if you had a huge yard with a pond in it and that pond had RES's in it and that yard had Star Torts then you could very loosley say they were living in the same area, but not in an indoor pen or small outdoor one. Even if you had deep enough water for the RES and lots of land for the tort, they are just way too different and need way too different care. On a side note, a baby RES can live quite a while in a 20 - 30 gallon tank. I don't know where you live, but they are not that pricey for a cheap one with a good filtr and a heat lamp. No heater needed if it stays above 65 or so in the house.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Honestly, although I am not a fan of mixing different species, stars seem to be easily affected by other pathogens, so I wouldn't recommend for sure with the stars. I have seen forum members and others mix star species with others, not a turtle/slider, so perhaps searching the threads of people who do mix, can give their opinion as well.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi, and welcome. Generally, different species should not be put together. In your case, their habitat are so different, I can't see how you can put them together even if it was ok to put them together. I invite you to use this forum to do research. You'll love this site.:)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Agree with all of above.

I believe you know you can not put the star Tortoise in deep water so you are thinking to have red ear slider on land. Yes, RES can stay on lane all the time but when it come to feeding, RES need flooding food, need water to push feed, food into their mouth. If you keep RES on land too long, he will die of hunger. No a good idea.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
No, I agree with all other opinions. The star tortoise will drown in the deep water of the trachemys. MAYBE but it isn't a good idea too you can but a red ear and a kinixys homeana together. Homeana has swim bladder so they can swim really good. But build a new habitat for the two different species!