Can I Keep My Tortoise in the Basement?

2angelous7

Location (City and/or State)
Montréal, Quebec
I'm getting a baby golden greek tortoise and I am planning everything out. In my room the only place I could put the enclosure is on my shelf, but it is only 2ft by 1.5ft... Waaaaay to small for an enclosure. So I was wondering if it is ok to keep the enclosure in the basement. The reason I am asking is because the basement is the coldest place in the house especially in the winter. But I will have a CHE and a MVB. Will that be enough for warmth? It's never freezing in the basement but I want to make sure. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You might have to cover the habitat to keep the cold basement air out of it.

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Just have a higher heat light wattage should be fine lots of people do it as long as it is not permanent and when they grow to their full size you bring them to a outside enclosure
The best way to figure it out is to try it and test the heat

2angelous7

Montréal, Quebec
Just have a higher heat light wattage should be fine lots of people do it as long as it is not permanent and when they grow to their full size you bring them to a outside enclosure
The best way to figure it out is to try it and test the heat
Thank You! Also if I make a tortoise table, what wood is best to use?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum.

If you decided to keep the tort in the basement, please make sure it is not too cold and use a UVB light.

Please read the "beginners' thread " and care sheets, which will definitely help you, and good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My garage gets down into the 40s in winter. I have no problem keeping tortoises out there. I use a large closed chamber and the enclosure is well insulated. Each enclosure has two CHE's set on a thermostat, and they don't even run all that much. The heat lamps keep things plenty warm during the day.

More wattage on an open table will not be effective.

2angelous7

Montréal, Quebec
My garage gets down into the 40s in winter. I have no problem keeping tortoises out there. I use a large closed chamber and the enclosure is well insulated. Each enclosure has two CHE's set on a thermostat, and they don't even run all that much. The heat lamps keep things plenty warm during the day.

More wattage on an open table will not be effective.
great! Thanks for the info

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Is this your first tortoise?

Some people do fine with basements for their tortoises. These are typically animals that can spend the summer in an outdoor habitat.

If your basement is not a place you enjoy spending time in, you may want to reconsider. I've heard horror stories about tortoises that lived in basements and were neglected because the basement was out of sight & out of mind. It didn't happen right away, but it happened.

I wonder if you can rearrange your room or find or make space. Expand the shelf? What is your plan for when the baby grows and needs much more space?

It might be better to wait until you really have space to keep a tortoise.

2angelous7

Montréal, Quebec

Some people do fine with basements for their tortoises. These are typically animals that can spend the summer in an outdoor habitat.

If your basement is not a place you enjoy spending time in, you may want to reconsider. I've heard horror stories about tortoises that lived in basements and were neglected because the basement was out of sight & out of mind. It didn't happen right away, but it happened.

I wonder if you can rearrange your room or find or make space. Expand the shelf? What is your plan for when the baby grows and needs much more space?

Yes this is my first tortoise. But I do go in the basement a lot, there are fun things to do down there lol. Plus I pass the basement door allll the time because it is in the hall and i pass it to get to the kitchen. I am there a lot:p :) But if I notice that I'm not going don there as much or when school starts I can TRY make space in the living room, i'll have to talk to my mom about that. She's picky about animals. When the baby grows I will make the enclosure a LOT bigger. I have a lot of empty space in the basement so I can expand as much as I want.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I keep mine in the basement. I keep all enclosures covered with plastic sheeting. The upside is it's easier to keep humidity levels higher down there!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio

Mine are in the basement and that has never happened. I think if you are a person who loves chelonians and cares for them that will not happen no matter where they are. If you are a person who is the type to get bored with your pets/animals and neglect them, that will happen as well no matter where you keep them.

I have found the basement to be a good place actually. Ambient climate fluctuates less plus since it is a bit more humid down there it is easier to keep up humidity levels.

2angelous7

Montréal, Quebec
Mine are in the basement and that has never happened. I think if you are a person who loves chelonians and cares for them that will not happen no matter where they are. If you are a person who is the type to get bored with your pets/animals and neglect them, that will happen as well no matter where you keep them.

I have found the basement to be a good place actually. Ambient climate fluctuates less plus since it is a bit more humid down there it is easier to keep up humidity levels.
ok thanks