Can i have help identifying this tortoise please

Status
Not open for further replies.

soapy

5 Year Member
I found this tortoise today in my yard. The shell was painted gold it seems. any help identifying it would be appreciated, thank you
DSCN2544.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
You have found a Gopher tortoise, Gopherus polyphemus. It would be great if you could release it after you get the paint off him/her. Acetone and a soft cloth should get most of the paint off.

Danny

nearpass

10 Year Member!
Wow, is that for real? Can't imagine anyone doing something like that. It would probably help knowing where you live, and maybe a couple more pictures from some other angles. Also, how big is it?

soapy

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
You have found a Gopher tortoise, Gopherus polyphemus. It would be great if you could release it after you get the paint off him/her. Acetone and a soft cloth should get most of the paint off.

Danny

Thank you! I work at a vet clinic so i am going to check it for a microchip, if ti doesnt have one, i'll release it

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If the tortoise does have a microchip, it would be part of a study. No state, where Gopher tortoises are found, lets people keep them without a permit.
I see your in south Florida :) in the heart of Gopher tortoise country. :D

Danny

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Only if it has been injured or has come in contact with a tortoise that is sick. Other than that it is perfectly fine to let go. :D

Danny

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Calif has a no release into wild law regarding their tortoises that are taken by people.

brymanda

5 Year Member
Florida
With Gopher tortoises there are often "safe havens" to release them in since you need to keep them away from construction areas. I'm not sure how to find out where those are though... County animal control may know.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I have a permit to take care of gophers in need of medical care. Here in MS there is a $10,000 fine if you are caught with one without a permit. They must be reported to the Dept of Wildlife & Fisheries by way of a vet or rescue/rehab group. They are require to be tested before being released. We try to release as close as where they are found unless it is an unsafe environment.
I can't believe someone put that much paint on him...even if it is a cross!
good luck to him
Patsy

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Poor little monster, who would do that??
DAMN RIGHT CRUEL!
Acetone.. wont that harm the tort?

Good luck, let us know how things go
xx

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
No acetone won't hurt the tortoise or you :) as long as you use it in a well ventilated area. :D
Just put a bit on a soft cloth and rub. It takes a bit, but the paint will come off.

Danny

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You know I did not even notice it was in the shape of a cross, interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.