Can cuttlebone cause impaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Syros, Greece
Yesterday I gave a cuttlebone to my tortoise. She ate it all just fine, but on one small section the hard part was there (idk how I missed it). Now, it was a small section for my size, but the chunk with the hard part was triangular and as large as the tortoise's mouth and it took a bit of swallowing. She seems to have swallowed it just fine but hasn't pooped since yesterday. Does the hard part get dissolved in the stomach or should I be worried?

PapS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Syros, Greece
Now I feel like I'm seeing that the tortoise is in pain. But it's probably my imagination since it seems to eat just fine. I hate that I assume the worst like that but I can't get it out of my mind...

I gave my tortoise a short soak and she managed to poop. There was no blood (so she wasn't hurt) and no cuttlebone hard part (so it was probably dissolved). But now I feel very bad because I woke the poor thing up and dragged it out of its cave to get it into the soak. I can only imagine the unbearable stress this must have brought, I will leave the poor thing alone until tomorrow...

I will still keep a vigilant eye for tomorrow defecations, to make sure there wasn't any damage...

My tortoise pooped after a short soak. There was no blood, so there was hopefully no internal damage and no cuttlebone hard part, so it probably was digested. I had to put the poor thing through unbearable stress as I woke it up and dragged it through its cave to the soak. I feel very bad now, and I'll leave her at peace until tomorrow...

I'll still keep a vigilant eye for tomorrow poop.

There's a lesson to be learned from all this. I will grind the cuttlebone and make it into a custom calcium powder next time...

Oh I'm so sorry about all that, I didn't realize how replying to myself worked and didn't see I wrote the same thing twice. Could a mod edit this and remove one of the replies (preferably first one)?

Status
Not open for further replies.