can breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deutsch

5 Year Member
i have male libyan and female nabeulensis.can they breed?

sorry about my poor english,i'm thai.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Welcome to the forum. No need to apologize for your English, there are many members who speak other languages.

The nabeulensis is rare enough that it would seem a pity to breed it with any tortoise not of the same kind...

GBtortoises said:
They can, but why would you cross breed the two subspecies and dilute the purity of two very distinctly different looking and unique subspecies?

deutsch

5 Year Member
i can't find male nabeulensis.it's pity...

now my north afica species have 2male libyan,2female libyan and 2female nabeulensis.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Patience-if you came up with 2 female Nabulensis, eventually a male can be found. It's a matter of searching the internet for importers, suppliers, breeders and keepers in your country and elsewhere in your area of the world that is accessible to you. If there are two in your country than there are likely more. You just have to find out who else has some. Put out some ads looking for them, ask around to other tortoise keepers, etc... Stuff like that doesn't usually show up in common pet shops, at least not here in the U.S. You may find someone that has a male but no females and can work out a deal for the male and/or subsequent offspring. That's still better than cross breeding them!

deutsch

5 Year Member
thank you,i'll try.
dsc01512c.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One more vote here for NOT mixing two great subspecies. Better to wait to breed them than to create mutts that will muddy the very limited captive gene pool.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Now that you are a member of the Tortoise Forum, who knows, you may find the male you need someday (soon, we hope).

Your Tunisians are awesome. I agree with others, your patience will be worth it to keep the line pure. I read somewhere that someone in the Netherlands had a male and was looking for females. Reverse from you, but far from Thailand. I wonder if you should do a thread in the wanted section also: Wanted Male Tunisian/Nabeulensi ?? I hope you find one, your females are cool-cool-cool! : )

Status
Not open for further replies.