Can anyone tell me what these are and if they are safe to feed to a Herman's plz

debz

Location (City and/or State)
Wales / UK
Does anyone know what these are and if they are safe to feed to a Herman's plz we have them all over our Garden?

Attachments

• 2017-03-15 13.28.36.jpg
    2017-03-15 13.28.36.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So many different plants going on in there. Let's see if @Iochroma has any ideas for you.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Do you mean the ranunculus in the middle?
According to the tortoise table they are toxic, but my torts love them, especially the flowers.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Creeping buttercup.

The Tortoise Table and most people will tell you not to feed them.

Joe loved eating them if he got chance. I never picked them for him.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Do you mean the ranunculus in the middle?
According to the tortoise table they are toxic, but my torts love them, especially the flowers.
My question: when it says that the plants are TOXIC, does this mean toxic for tortoises or humans/mammals? Are humans used as a guide as to what not to feed to tortoises?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Hardly anything is known about toxins in reptiles, mainly in mammals (mice, humans,...).
The tortoise table linked an article according to which a tortoise died after being fed large amounts of ranunculus sp.
That might or might not be the case (who knows what other poisonous things were fed?), but the article doesn't even say what species of ranunculus and almost anything can be toxic when consumed in large amounts. The dose makes the poison.

According to both my books about tortoise food, ranunculus repens is a good food plant and I will not stop feeding it. But of course just in appropriate qantities in a mix, like any other food plant.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Put it this way Joe ate them all his very long life. Like Lisa this wasn't in huge quantities. Usually he would just eat the flowers; you could watch him moving from yellow flower to yellow flower on the lawn - probably eating half a dozen or less which is nothing for a 7lb tort.

I am not going to recommend people go out and pick them, just in case. However, they're near impossible to eradicate from the garden so if a tort eats them then I wouldn't panic.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Yes, as others have said, Ranunculus seem to be eaten by mediterranean tortoises with no ill effects. I do not let mine eat it though.