any ideas what these are?

DayDreamer

Location (City and/or State)
San Juan PR
does anyone know what these are and if they are safe to feed?

1st one (flower and shot of leaf)
IMG_2424.JPG
IMG_2425.JPG

2nd (flower and leaf)
IMG_2426.JPG
IMG_2427.JPG

3rd
IMG_2430.JPG

4th
IMG_2431.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
(1) looks like mandevilla i think thats how you spell it.
(2) looks to be the same as #1.
(3) mother in law plant
(4) im not sure
I dont know for sure but #1 #2 and #3 i do not believe are edible.
Im no plant expert by any means someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon to help.

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
so if you are right about the 1st 3.
number 1 - if it is mandevilla its not safe...
number 2 - has different leafs so im still not sure about that one
number 3 - is a mother-in-law tongue and safe in moderation so would it be okay to plant inside the enclosure?

anyone else have any ideas what 2 and 4 are? and if mother-in-law tongue is okay to plant inside the enclosure?

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I think #2 is a younger plant i may be wrong but it could also be a diffrrent type of mandevilla. As far as planting the mother in law in your enclosure is concerned i dont know. I guess it would depend on your tort if its safe in small quantities . Some torts just devour plants you wouldnt want he/she to eat too much of it. What kind of tort do you have?

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
we have a russian. but we only got him yesterday so far he just nibbles on his food, wouldnt even go near the hibiscus i gave him (im gussing he was fed mostly pellet type food) because he doesnt seem super interested in anything im giving him... so i would think if i plant it (atleast for now) he wouldnt try and eat much of it. http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?st=true&mode=main&catID=765 i could always plant something else in there thats just easy for us to get our enclosure it bare at the moment and im feeling horrible for the little guy lol

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
The first one looks more like an Allamanda to me. Toxic to humans in any case. I believe it has a white sap, although I'm not sure. Most things with white sap are to be viewed with suspicion.

May well be mandivilla though.

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
hmm it does look a lot like allamanda esp. the second one the leafs are very similar but the 1st has leafs that look a lot more like hibiscus.
still im going to go with not safe for those 1st two.

still no clues on what that last one is?

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Spider plants are also easy to grow and would be easily obtained i got mine at walmart. The mother in law would probably be ok to go ahead and put in there. Aloe vera is another thats fairly easy. I have roses, spider plants, aloe, spineless optunia , hibiscus and some rose of sharon in my pens. Ive even planted bird seed in containers it grows pretty quickly and i placed container in the pen. Just get a few flats of it going and as he eats it you can replace container. Im not sure what all types of food your type of tort eats. As i said i have redfoots and sulcatas.
But please remember plants bought at nurseries and walmart and other places may contain fertilizers and other chemicals. The little white specs in the soil of these plants are harmful to your tort if you buy any plants please wash roots gently to remove any of these and repot plant in tort safe soil and allow the plant to grow with no fertilizer im not sure how long you should wait. I was hoping someone with a little more knowledge than me would come along and offer some better advice. I hope ive been helpfull even if in a small way. :)

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
The last one looks like a sprouting walnut tree to me, but I'm not sure where you're located and whether that occurs where you are. They come up in my yard all the time.

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
im in puerto rico not sure if they grow here or not
if i were to pull it out is there any way to tell by the roots?

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
If your referring to the little white specs i think they are called perlite. They would be scattered through out the soil you cant miss them. Your in puerto rico so im not sure about plants in your area. Let me see if i can get another member to come help.

We all waiting for Ms. Yvonne shes great at identfying plants. She'll be along soon.

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
nope wasnt talking about perlite i just know some plants have different root systems and sometimes its a tell-tale sign of what plant it might be.

haha perfect hopefully she can chime in :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
the second one looks like the type of plants that N2TORTS grows...can't remember their name.

The last one might be virginia creeper.

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
so all but number 3 are toxic it looks like
yvonne do you think it would be a bad idea to plant the mother-in-law tongue in the enclosure?