Can anyone guess my tortoise's age?

Squirt16

Location (City and/or State)
London
I have a hermanns tortoise who is 6 month old tortoise(I believe)
Who weighs 80 grams and 6.5 centimetres I am slightly worried about his shell as it doesn't appear to be smooth as well as this he has very wide white 'growth' lines around his scutes is this normal? I stick to a one day feed one day leave leafy plants such as spider plants in there but I'm not too sure...
As well as this he doesn't have his uvb bulb but I have ordered one as the breeder said he didn't need one

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Who weighs 80 grams and 6.5 centimetres I am slightly worried about his shell as it doesn't appear to be smooth as well as this he has very wide white 'growth' lines around his scutes is this normal? I stick to a one day feed one day leave leafy plants such as spider plants in there but I'm not too sure...
As well as this he doesn't have his uvb bulb but I have ordered one as the breeder said he didn't need one
Wide white growth lines are fine. They'll darken with age

If growth is bumpy, that's the start of pyramidding and is caused by low humidity.

Can you post pictures of the enclosure so we can take a look at what can be done to perfect things?

What type of UVB have you ordered?

Have you read the TFO care sheets for Hermann's

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Care of Young Testudo
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Hermann's Care Guide
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Squirt16

London
Wide white growth lines are fine. They'll darken with age

If growth is bumpy, that's the start of pyramidding and is caused by low humidity.

Can you post pictures of the enclosure so we can take a look at what can be done to perfect things?

What type of UVB have you ordered?

Have you read the TFO care sheets for Hermann's

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Care of Young Testudo
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Hermann's Care Guide
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
My tortoise enclosure was wrongly sold to us as it is a glass vivarium and I realise that he needs a wooden tortoise table, currently in the middle of making one which will be 4footx 2/3 foot I am not too worried at the moment as he is very small. I have ordered a 3 in one uva and b as well as heat lamp from I believe 'Megaray' which should be here on Thursday

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Read the links I gave you. A baby like yours needs a closed chamber and damp substrate to raise the humidity.

An open tortoise table won't do this. You need to be able to get some sort of cover on it. There are examples in the Enclosures forum as well.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
That is an exceptionally beautiful tortoise.
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum, to you and Squirt.
Read the care sheets posted above - follow them and you won't go far wrong.
he may be slightly bumpy, so to prevent pyramiding also read.:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
Put in food for the day in the morning.
If it is gone by the evening, it wasn't enough.
They will not overeat.
Do not use coiled or compact UVB lamps as these have been known to sometimes cause eye problems or blindness and /or not put out enough UVB.
Use an MVB (mercury vapour bulb) or a UVB strip light.
Vivariums are excellent, as long as they are big enough, they help keep in the necessary humidity.

Squirt16

London
Read the links I gave you. A baby like yours needs a closed chamber and damp substrate to raise the humidity.

An open tortoise table won't do this. You need to be able to get some sort of cover on it. There are examples in the Enclosures forum as well.
Thank you very much, I was very worried about the little guy :)!

Squirt16

London
That is an exceptionally beautiful tortoise.
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum, to you and Squirt.
Read the care sheets posted above - follow them and you won't go far wrong.
he may be slightly bumpy, so to prevent pyramiding also read.:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
Put in food for the day in the morning.
If it is gone by the evening, it wasn't enough.
They will not overeat.
Do not use coiled or compact UVB lamps as these have been known to sometimes cause eye problems or blindness and /or not put out enough UVB.
Use an MVB (mercury vapour bulb) or a UVB strip light.
Vivariums are excellent, as long as they are big enough, they help keep in the necessary humidity.
Yes that is the bulb I have ordered so I believe he will be ok with that, so feed them every day, he usually leaves quite a bit in his bowl at the end of the day and he seems to hide a lot and sleep all throughout the day. I make sure his basking zone is between 28-32° Celsius and his cool zone is between 24 and 20

Squirt16

London

I do have a metal cover which has a few holes in similar to chicken wire do you think this is suitable?

image.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The photo you have posted shows substrate with white bits which is very popular in the UK. This white stuff is limestone, perlite or some sort of calcium and encourages the consumption of the substrate which is not a good idea.
It should be replaced with coco coir, orchid bark or cypress mulch.
The water dish would be better replaced with a shallow, cheap terracotta plant saucer, big enough for the tortoise to soak in and sunk into the substrate.
This is easier to access and is not a flip hazard.
The enclosure needs to be larger too, if possible. 8 foot by 4 foot minimum for an adult, but a bit smaller would be okay for a while with a baby.
Basking zone should be nearer to 35° , ambient 27 to 30°, though cooler at night is okay.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I do have a metal cover which has a few holes in similar to chicken wire do you think this is suitable?
Those wire covers let the humidity and hear out and obstruct the UVB and heat from lamps

The cover needs to be solid. Your lamps must be under the cover, or shine through a hole cut into it.

Squirt16

London
Those wire covers let the humidity and hear out and obstruct the UVB and heat from lamps

The cover needs to be solid. Your lamps must be under the cover, or shine through a hole cut into it.
Thank you very much, I know now not to go through petsathome!
Everything in my tank was provided by them as I'm very much a beginner

Squirt16

London
The photo you have posted shows substrate with white bits which is very popular in the UK. This white stuff is limestone, perlite or some sort of calcium and encourages the consumption of the substrate which is not a good idea.
It should be replaced with coco coir, orchid bark or cypress mulch.
The water dish would be better replaced with a shallow, cheap terracotta plant saucer, big enough for the tortoise to soak in and sunk into the substrate.
This is easier to access and is not a flip hazard.
The enclosure needs to be larger too, if possible. 8 foot by 4 foot minimum for an adult, but a bit smaller would be okay for a while with a baby.
Basking zone should be nearer to 35° , ambient 27 to 30°, though cooler at night is okay.
I usually have his water dish more burrowed into his substrate to make sure he can get in it very easily and out, he doesn't really go for the substrate as I think he likes fresh food more, I always put the calcium supplements on his fresh leaves though, by spring I should have finished building his wooden table, I can made adjustments to measurements. Thank you very very much

Squirt16

London
They're often only interested in selling you stuff.
We're not.
(unless you want a camel ?)
I know omg the guy didn't even know what he was talking about!! I am very grateful to have found this forum I believe it will help me so much with Squirts life!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I usually have his water dish more burrowed into his substrate to make sure he can get in it very easily and out, he doesn't really go for the substrate as I think he likes fresh food more, I always put the calcium supplements on his fresh leaves though, by spring I should have finished building his wooden table, I can made adjustments to measurements. Thank you very very much
Make sure you read the links carefully.
They are written by people who really know their onions.
Make sure your home built enclosure is a closed chamber.

Squirt16

London
Make sure you read the links carefully.
They are written by people who really know their onions.
Make sure your home built enclosure is a closed chamber.
Will do, thank you ever so much, have an appointment with the vets on Friday to get him all checked out!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I know omg the guy didn't even know what he was talking about!! I am very grateful to have found this forum I believe it will help me so much with Squirts life!
It will.
Made all the difference to me and my beloved Tidgy. (not shown ) :)