Can anybody help me find the species of my tortis

Nishant Singh

Location (City and/or State)
India
Dear Sir,
I am Nishant From Jharkhand, India.
While surfing through the net, I came to know about you.
I have attached few snaps of my tortoise which my son got from the field while playing..
He is about one and half inch in length.
Shanu I would be very grateful if i get to know the species. It will help me in feeding and knowing him better.
Also, if you can please tell me how to handle ( Feeding & Shelter ), as i am very new to tortoises.
Presently I have kept him in a tank with some fresh moist soil, and given him food like hibiscus flower, coriander leaves and placed a shallow pot for water. That's It. But I have never seen him eating. maybe he is too small. Please help.
Thanks
Nishant

IMG_20160505_135939.jpg IMG_20160505_140044.jpg IMG_20160505_140139.jpg IMG_20160505_140048.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and welcome. That is a turtle not a tortoise. I don't know what kind. But it needs to be housed in water with an area of land/Rock/wood to get out of the water and bask under the sun or a UVB bulb. If you live near a lake or pond, I would let him go near it. Someone should be able to ID the kind he is soon.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It looks like a river terrapin to me. If so, they are endangered in the wild and shouldn't be kept as a pet. Please return it to where it was found.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Having consulted Google, the northern river terrapin, batagur baska, is one of the most critically endangered species in the world. Please, please return it to where t was found.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The search showed that RES are indeed in India, but I stopped once I read that possession of turtles is illegal.
At this point, the type doesn't matter...Unless I missed something.
It needs to be released.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Nishant, and welcome to the Forum!

That is indeed a red ear slider turtle, Trachemys scripta elegans. They can't swallow food unless they are in the water.

I found this answer to the legality of keeping water turtles in India:

"Yes.....I have seen some answers saying it's illegal but they are partially wrong. The Indian turtle species are illegal because of wildlife protection acts.
But turtles such as Red Ear Sliders and Painted turtles etc which are native american are legal. And about the experience... They eat manufactured food, worms, cabbage etc.
And they do respond but not like a cat or dog or any mammal....they will associate your presence with food and will be excited on seeing you. They don't take handling very well and may even bite if too stressed.
They produce a lot of waste and will require a big space and a good filtration system. And they live long...long enough."

So read the link JoesMum gave you, and set the baby turtle up in water with a dock where he can sit under a light and warm up.

Nishant Singh

India
Hi Nishant, and welcome to the Forum!

That is indeed a red ear slider turtle, Trachemys scripta elegans. They can't swallow food unless they are in the water.

I found this answer to the legality of keeping water turtles in India:

"Yes.....I have seen some answers saying it's illegal but they are partially wrong. The Indian turtle species are illegal because of wildlife protection acts.
But turtles such as Red Ear Sliders and Painted turtles etc which are native american are legal. And about the experience... They eat manufactured food, worms, cabbage etc.
And they do respond but not like a cat or dog or any mammal....they will associate your presence with food and will be excited on seeing you. They don't take handling very well and may even bite if too stressed.
They produce a lot of waste and will require a big space and a good filtration system. And they live long...long enough."

So read the link JoesMum gave you, and set the baby turtle up in water with a dock where he can sit under a light and warm up.

Nishant Singh

India
Well thank you all for your reply. I am confused about how to just leave it in a field from were my son brought it. May be predators would kill this sweet little thing. Anyways thinking about contacting some wild life officials.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Well thank you all for your reply. I am confused about how to just leave it in a field from were my son brought it. May be predators would kill this sweet little thing. Anyways thinking about contacting some wild life officials.
It looks like it's a Red Eared Slider so not a native and it probably shouldn't be released. If you keep it, then you must get it into a pond or tank so it can eat and thrive. Without water it will die

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Because this species of turtle is not native to your country, it would not be a good idea to leave it in the field. If you want to keep it, set it up like those links tell you. If you don't want it, try to find a wildlife rescue to give it to.

Nishant Singh

India
Thanks Everyone for all the help. I made a contact with a wild life person. Maybe tomorrow, I will leave him to the zoo. Thanks all.