California Dreamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I've been thinking about this for a while now, but a recent comment from a TFO member made me realize that Scruffie didn't have a very good life in my carport shed. Even tho I put her outside frequently it just wasn't a good scenario for her. She was nervous when I put her outside in a smallish tub, I could tell. Scruffie was my first turtle, she was the thing responsible for me getting into tortoise rescue. I had gone on several rescue trips with my sister before, but I had never fallen for any tortoise like I fell for my Scruffie. She was just a lowly RES, but her sweet face just melted my heart. Then my sister helped me set her up in about a 300 gallon dumpster bottom and gave me all kinds of equipment like heaters and such. She showed me how to make a hide in the water and really helped me out. So I don't know just how old she is but now she is liven the life. Yvonne didn't want another RES in her pond, so I really had to talk hard to get her to allow Scruffie to live her life out in the pond. It's a beautiful pond too since my sister had it all renovated.
So here's a few pix to show you how it went.

Here's part of my drive around Mt Shasta. That's my favorite mountain and the weather was clear and sparkling like diamonds as I drove past her.

23vz6ab.jpg

I wasn't paying very good attention as I drove thru Redding and got nailed by a CHP hiding in the bushes...he said he clocked me at 85 in a 70, but we talked for quite a while and he ended up writing me up for 75 thinking my speedo was broken. If I can get the speedo fixed he says the court will write the ticket off...So I continued along my way very upset and worried. How can I pay to get my speedometer fixed? It will cost a bundle and I don't have a bundle. I'm an old lady living on SS. Damn I was upset and I saw the the boxes of turtles on the deck under the hatch were cooking in the hot sun so I pulled off onto the getoff ramp and another CHP pulled right up behind me and he came up asking what I was doing and then he asked if I knew how fast I was driving and I thought this conversation is not going in a good direction...75 I say to the nice officer...88 he says back to me. I say I just got a ticket 10 minutes ago and we thought my speedo was not quite accurate...88 miles an hour. I asked him not to write me up and he says he has to...Crap I say, that is not good officer...

Here's me taking Scruf out of the box...
s5lc0w.jpg

What a big old heavy girl she is...
14xmpx.jpg

I hope she lives here a long time to help pay off those tickets...
wvobxx.jpg

Here she goes in the water...kerplunk! Splash! and she went to the bottom. She stayed down a bit and then came up swimming around. This is her the next day, it looks like she's going to adjust just fine. She's in a better place and will be happy there I am sure...here she is swimming around with that giant Argentinian thing
2mpzwog.jpg

The box turtles I took down there got right to it, so I think they will do alright there as well...
2hpric8.jpg

And Dudley came out to say hello...
210zpzb.jpg

Michele the resident Gopherus agassizii...
orpfkz.jpg

And the pond...
2m466md.jpg

It was a great trip all in all. I guess I could have done without the tickets but it was great to see my sister and all the animals. Her gardens were seriously impressive and I regret not taking any pictures of them. The leafs on her squash are humongous
I don't know if this is Bo or So, I just know it's a giant rock that doesn't move much and watching it chew grass was very impressive...
t684jo.jpg

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Wow, thanks for sharing your story. Oh, the things we do for our tortoises (and the amount they cost us LOL). What nice pictures!!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
sorry you have to lower your numbers...
and your tickets.. if you show up to fight it.. its another trip down..
yikes... your car have cruise?

what happened to Michelles Shell?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Great photo's very sorry the officers decided not to use their discretion which they can use if they want too..

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Scruffie looks very happy in his new home. Great story, thanks for sharing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've seen Scruffie a couple time sunning on the bank. She's going to be just fine.

Mi-Shell was my very first tortoise. My son worked with someone who's dad ran over her while discing between his grape vine rows. He took her inside and filled the injury on her carapace with Play-doh. When he heard that my son was interested in turtles and tortoises, he gave Mi-Shell to my son. This was about 30 years ago. She was full grown at that time, so I figure she's about 70 years or more old.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for sharing the story and the beautiful pictures with us Maggie :). Scruffie looks very happy in her new pond. I am so sorry about the tickets by the way :(

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
A hard decision for you, but you had Scruffie's best interests at heart. She sure looks happy now. Sorry about the tickets

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Whhhhaaatttt!!! You didn't tell me you got slammed with all those tickets!?!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love the story and the pictures. Ouch how much are those tickets going to cost? You do love to let that car of yours clean itself out don't you? I don't think I have ever gone 88. :D Didn't you get a speeding ticket last year too?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Ugh, speeding tickets are the worst. I have gotten three (and one warning :p) in the past couple years; I got 2 of them off my record.

I agree with everyone- great story and pictures :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Just got the notice. They want $273 for the first ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.