calcium

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Cowboy_Ken said:
The limestone flour sticks to the plant material that is growing that they actively consume. And yes, as the plants grow, they absorb calcium from the soil. Africa, with little rainfall, tends to have a high calcium level in the soil.

Herbivorous tortoises come from regions with lots of calcium in the soil. As you said, soils in African savannas and deserts don't get much leaching because they are dry. Other soils, like those in the Mediterranean, have lots of limestone because there used to be ocean over them, so they accumulated calcium from seashells. Tortoises either eat plants that have absorbed lots of calcium, or else they ingest calcium directly from minerals and rocks by gnawing on them.

Forest tortoises do not come from areas with calcium-rich soil. This could be the reason they are more omnivorous. By eating other animals, they can acquire the calcium they have in their shell or skeleton. :cool:

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
already bought the cuttlebone , and it is very big for meter

IMG-20130429-01088.jpg

and I think meter are interested with the cuttlebone. hope he could finish it all :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Godcomplex

5 Year Member
Indonesia , jakarta - bali
Biasa pake tulang sotong ditumbuk trus di sprinkel di makanan bro , gw jg kurang tau soalnya gw pake reptical. Cm gw not recommend reptical soalnya sulcata gw pernah bladder stone gara2 itu.bagusan tulang sotong kyknya, gw blm prnah coba tp

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Godcomplex said:
Biasa pake tulang sotong ditumbuk trus di sprinkel di makanan bro , gw jg kurang tau soalnya gw pake reptical. Cm gw not recommend reptical soalnya sulcata gw pernah bladder stone gara2 itu.bagusan tulang sotong kyknya, gw blm prnah coba tp

Sprinkle the crushed bone to the food also works, but calcium powder supplement won't cause bladder stone because cuttlebone is just the same as the powder... You should check if your tort is hydrated enough and not put the blame on the calcium powder...

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
jhongsen said:
already bought the cuttlebone , and it is very big for meter

and I think meter are interested with the cuttlebone. hope he could finish it all :D

Wow, that is the biggest cuttlebone I've every seen! You guys must get bigger ones in Indonesia. The ones here in the States are less than half that size.

Well, anyway, you can always just break it in half with your fingers. Then put one half in the enclosure now, and save the other for later.

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Wow, that is the biggest cuttlebone I've every seen! You guys must get bigger ones in Indonesia. The ones here in the States are less than half that size.

Well, anyway, you can always just break it in half with your fingers. Then put one half in the enclosure now, and save the other for later.

it looks like it not just me who think that cuttlebone is too big , I already adjust the size to meter size. Actually I already bought 2 cuttlebone

Godcomplex said:

I'm sorry Godcomplex , I don't think it's not appropriate if we are using bahasa in this forum.. because the other TFO member might not understand what are we talking about and this is a forum for everyone to learn how to take care of their tort but thanks for the advice to crush the bone and sprinkle it on meter's food.

Status
Not open for further replies.