A calcium problem?

leaf2002

5 Year Member
I have noticed that where as one of my tortoises has a minor pyramiding problem the other hasn't and has a smooth shell. I have been trying to figure out why one of my hatchlings has it and not the other as I keep them in the same enclosure and they get the same food as one another. I first thought that it was exercise but now I realise it's not. The one with the smooth shell has a lot of calcium and gnaws at the cuttle fish bone in their enclosure where the other won't go near it. I bought some powder calcium but when it's on her food she won't touch it, so I tried hand feeding her the calcium on leaves but she would only eat the parts with no powder. I know that this is a problem but I don't know what to do about it. To I force her? She is only little. Any enlightenment would be helpful. Thank you.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
You can try "tough love." Or you can feed high-calcium greens like, collard greens and mustard greens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I believe stress is a component or contributor to pyramiding. You notice its the smaller of your pair that's having the problem? That is where I typically see it.

They shouldn't be housed in pairs. Separate them, give it some time and watch the little one's growth pick up and smooth out.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I bought some powder calcium but when it's on her food she won't touch it, so I tried hand feeding her the calcium on leaves but she would only eat the parts with no powder

You can try a couple different things; offer less powder on the food and then spritz the entire pile of food offering with water, this will make it less bitter (calcium powder tastes bad, period.) and perhaps the tort will learn to eat it...and don't offer it on every meal, perhaps like every few days offer it and the days you don't offer, offer a high calcium food (as previously suggested)...or you can offer a cuttle bone in the enclosure so the tort can eat as they need...

Please help me, can I give him a vitamin supliment to help this and will it matter if the tank has no lid ??

What type of tort, what age/size is the tort? How long have you had the tort?