calcium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
my sulcata loves his calcium blocks! but my russians don't like them at all and will not eat food with sprinkle calcium stuff on it. if i mix calcium stuff in there soaking water, will they that do anything for them?

M

Maggie Cummings

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT calcium blocks..., get cuttle bone and ya just leave it on the substrate. Stop trying to be fancy and just get what tortoises have been eating for years. It's bone of a cuttlefish, with NOTHING added. Stop trying to make this so hard.;)

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT calcium blocks..., get cuttle bone and ya just leave it on the substrate. Stop trying to be fancy and just get what tortoises have been eating for years. It's bone of a cuttlefish, with NOTHING added. Stop trying to make this so hard.;)
can you answer my original question??????!!!!!!!!!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If there is liquid calcium I'm sure you could put it in the water for them. My Russian tortoise will not eat her cuttlebone if I just leave it in the habitat. So I scrape it on the food. But many Russian tortoises will actually eat it. Give it a shot, it's cheap and easy. try scraping it on the food, but not too thick. Or scrape it on and mix it in. I usually spray the food with a little water from a spray bottle and then scrape the cuttlebone onto it. I also add TNT powder during the winter when I have to feed grocery store greens.

M

Maggie Cummings

can you answer my original question??????!!!!!!!!!

But in MY opinion I did answer your question.
Some of us old f**ts have used cuttle bone for years. You don't need to put anything in the water. Lay it on the substrate and IF THEY NEED IT, they will eat it. If their bodies don't need it, they won't bite it. Why the hell try to change a tried and true method of giving calcium? If you fed a wide variety of foods they 'probably' wouldn't need supplements. I don't use them, I make sure I feed the best diet "I" can feed.
Everyday, rain, sleet, snow, and sometimes sun, I am outside in my robe by 7am with scissors cutting grass, leaves, weeds, and whatever blooms there are
I have a deal with the local grocery store that they save their old produce for me. So after I bring in my cuttings I add 'some' produce with the grasses etc, then I mix it all around, sprinkle some water on it and feed all my tortoises. About 2 PM I bring a treat of softened Mazuri, or pumpkin, or squash, acorn etc. Then in the evening, it's softened Mazuri. Then they all go to bed. But they won't go until the bedtime snack.
Scientists have proven that 'most' supplements are a waste of money. They mostly go right thru your system doing nothing. That's of course if they are being fed a good varied diet.
At times I have had a rock eater, then I use Miner-All for a few weeks and the rock eating stops.
I feed my box turtles fruit and veggies one day, worms or slugs (protein) the next and stunned goldfish the next. Sometimes I feed cat food (wet, and not more then once a month.) All my box turtles are 'special needs 'animals. Some are missing limbs, 2 are blind and one is just bat-sh** crazy. But they all eat like fiends.
I figure my only job in keeping chelonia is to make the best life for them that I can, good feeding starts it. So that's what I do....no brag just fact....
Nick. stop trying short cuts and feed them better, no supplements necessary...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm crashing this thread for a minute, but Maggie I laughed when you were describing your special needs box turtles. A little crazy is good for everybody.
But back to the original question, with all the emphasis that people put on calcium in the diet I can understand where it is stressful.everybody just says throw a cuttlebone in there but if your tortoise doesn't eat it you start to get scared. that's why I scrape it on the food. It makes me feel better if nothing else and it definitely doesn't hurt as long as I don't overdo it. I like the TNT supplement because it is basically just ground up plants. and many of those plants are not available in my area. A very diet is definitely the best way to go though.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Good morning Nick
The reason your Sulcata eats a lot of calcium is he is growing at 90 miles a hour but your Russian is growing at 1 mile a hour . So the Russian don't need calcium any were near what the Sulcata needs . But my torts don't have a problem eating egg shells ( I run them through a coffee grinder )

Krabby

MA
I do the same thing leigti does-scrape cuttle bone onto the food and also add TNT powder to the greens.
maggie3fan had me laughing; one question: What does a bat-s** box turtle act like? :p

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
But in MY opinion I did answer your question.
Some of us old f**ts have used cuttle bone for years. You don't need to put anything in the water. Lay it on the substrate and IF THEY NEED IT, they will eat it. If their bodies don't need it, they won't bite it. Why the hell try to change a tried and true method of giving calcium? If you fed a wide variety of foods they 'probably' wouldn't need supplements. I don't use them, I make sure I feed the best diet "I" can feed.
Everyday, rain, sleet, snow, and sometimes sun, I am outside in my robe by 7am with scissors cutting grass, leaves, weeds, and whatever blooms there are
I have a deal with the local grocery store that they save their old produce for me. So after I bring in my cuttings I add 'some' produce with the grasses etc, then I mix it all around, sprinkle some water on it and feed all my tortoises. About 2 PM I bring a treat of softened Mazuri, or pumpkin, or squash, acorn etc. Then in the evening, it's softened Mazuri. Then they all go to bed. But they won't go until the bedtime snack.
Scientists have proven that 'most' supplements are a waste of money. They mostly go right thru your system doing nothing. That's of course if they are being fed a good varied diet.
At times I have had a rock eater, then I use Miner-All for a few weeks and the rock eating stops.
I feed my box turtles fruit and veggies one day, worms or slugs (protein) the next and stunned goldfish the next. Sometimes I feed cat food (wet, and not more then once a month.) All my box turtles are 'special needs 'animals. Some are missing limbs, 2 are blind and one is just bat-sh** crazy. But they all eat like fiends.
I figure my only job in keeping chelonia is to make the best life for them that I can, good feeding starts it. So that's what I do....no brag just fact....
Nick. stop trying short cuts and feed them better, no supplements necessary...
How is your box turtle crazy? I do feed my tortoises well!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Good morning Nick
The reason your Sulcata eats a lot of calcium is he is growing at 90 miles a hour but your Russian is growing at 1 mile a hour . So the Russian don't need calcium any were near what the Sulcata needs . But my torts don't have a problem eating egg shells ( I run them through a coffee grinder )

Great explanation and COOL calcium idea, Gramps!!!! :p

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Good grief, I actually thought this was serious, by the title! ;)
maggie's got you covered :D
And no, I don't think it would do anything! You must be putting too much on. Lessen the amount... I soak my cuttlebone, and scrape it off onto greens, and it sticks like cement!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Good grief, I actually thought this was serious, by the title! ;)
maggie's got you covered :D
And no, I don't think it would do anything! You must be putting too much on. Lessen the amount... I soak my cuttlebone, and scrape it off onto greens, and it sticks like cement!
I never thought about wetting down the cuttlebone, I spritz the plants and then scrape the dry cuttlebone onto it and it still sticks like cement:)

Prairie Mom

I understand your concern. When I first came across members putting babyfood etc in soaking water, I looked it up a bit and I was not able to come across any evidence that it really did prove beneficial (certainly not harmful), but it sounds like it is still pretty debatable. Like other members have said here, there are liquid calcium supplements that you can put in drinking water, but then you have the risk of your tort not liking the taste in the water and becoming dehydrated.

I hope you don't mind me also jumping on the varied natural diet bandwagon, but I wanted to let you know that I was able to reverse the beginnings of metabolic bone disease without even using calcium supplements. Lots of sunshine and calcium rich natural foods like dandelions, grape leaves, and bok choy in addition to her diet of grass, weeds, and edible flowers repaired my new tortoise's soft carapace spots in a really short time. I saw a difference in only a few weeks and at two months she is totally hard. Mulberry leaves have the highest calcium of any greens that I've come across and I'm working to grow some now, but I was still able to harden my sweetie's shell without them or calcium supplementation. It seems like you give your torts lots of sunshine(Vit D3!), so I'm willing to bet your Russians are better than you think they are:)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I never thought about wetting down the cuttlebone, I spritz the plants and then scrape the dry cuttlebone onto it and it still sticks like cement:)
I guess it's a really sticky thing! o_O I never thought about live plants... I might to try that outdoors! :D