Eating Calcium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albinoboidsetc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
OK is there such a thing as too much calcium? I have noticed that Dott seems to be eating alot of calcium compared to Dott. He has his face buried in the calcium dish almost every other day, he actually takes his Spring mix over to the calcium dish on a regular basis to eat it, which really bothers me seeing has how if I put calcium on their food neither one of them will touch it. Is it possible for them to become addicted to the calcium or to get too much?

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
I was under the impression that since calcium is water-soluable, the excess is excreted in the urine. Anything is possible, in so far as "overdose", but I also believe that instinctually, the tortoise "knows" what it's needs are, at the time. If you think there is TOO much being ingested--- try removing the source from a daily basis, to perhaps every other --or every third day, to see if that makes a difference. JMO

Albinoboidsetc

5 Year Member
NC
Laura said:
Maybe one is going thru a growth spurt and needs it..

He might be, I guess it is better that he is eating it then not.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
I have a turtle bone in with bert, he eats it at his leasure wich isnt often. so i sprinkle some on his food once a week. i hope he is getting enough. after reading what yours does, bert doesnt seem to be getting enough! but its there if he wants it.

Status
Not open for further replies.