calcium substitute

Status
Not open for further replies.

fel1958

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
tri states-pa.,n.y.,n.j.
im looking to change my calcium substitute.anyone have any strong thoughts on what they use.has anyone tryed the sprays yet.ok,,how about shelf life.this stuff last forever so it must break down.thanx,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,frank

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Cuttlebone works great. Torts decide for themselves when they want it. The powdered calcium carbonate is another popular choice. It's easy to just dust their food with it now and again. What are you using now that you're trying to switch from?

I'd avoid sprays personally. Both of these options work really well. Solids generally have longer shelf lives than liquids IMO.

fel1958

10 Year Member!
tri states-pa.,n.y.,n.j.
PeanutbuttER said:
Cuttlebone works great. Torts decide for themselves when they want it. The powdered calcium carbonate is another popular choice. It's easy to just dust their food with it now and again. What are you using now that you're trying to switch from?

I'd avoid sprays personally. Both of these options work really well. Solids generally have longer shelf lives than liquids IMO.

reptocal for all reptiles.i would like to narrow it down to tortoises.maybe a specialized tortoise web site would have something.i use tnt as well.just thought someone would have a stand out product they use.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
fel1958 said:
PeanutbuttER said:

reptocal for all reptiles.i would like to narrow it down to tortoises.maybe a specialized tortoise web site would have something.i use tnt as well.just thought someone would have a stand out product they use.

I bought some of this, and lightly garnish my pets' food every other day w/ it...shelf life: about 15 million years... ;)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Calcium-Carbona...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item518dae2e6f

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use Repcal. D3 for winter, no D3 for summer when they are getting out every day. I like the consistency and "stick-to-the-foodiness" of this brand the best.

As Terry Allen Hall pointed out, calcium carbonate powder will not go bad in your life time. Or your children's children's lifetime either.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Pure calcium powder such as the stuff sold under the NOW brand in human health food stores. Cheap and easy to use. I put it in a pizza shaker such as used for peppers & parmesan cheese as it would get caught in the salt shaker holes (from Kohl's). I don't believe in using D3 as torts make their own from UVB.

radhika

5 Year Member
fel1958 said:
im looking to change my calcium substitute.anyone have any strong thoughts on what they use.has anyone tryed the sprays yet.ok,,how about shelf life.this stuff last forever so it must break down.thanx,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,frank

well you can use shell cal tablet it works well. i use it for my ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.