Correct amounts of calcium and D3??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Hi everyone I have a real quick question about how much Calcium and D3 weekly my tortoises need to have really hard nice shells and bones?
I have one little Sulcata and about to have three Greek babies.
I use supplements to make sure that they r getting what they need.
I am about to start using liquid D3 which is 100 IU per drop and I use calcium powder , just straight calcium no D3.
I would like to start using liquid calcium if any body has a brand they recommend please let me know :)

I just bought something called JurassiCal in liquid , it's pure calcium. I'm gonna change to using this and the liquid D3 instead the powder
I feed Mazuri mixed with Zoomed Grassland Food often for vitamins
I also bout a herbal salad from Carolina pet supply (almost three weeks ago that I have yet to receive and no one will answer calls or emails) which has these food items in it
Timothy Hay
lavender flowers
Oat Hay
Red Clover
Strawberry leaf
Chamomile blossoms
Dandelion leaf
Plantain Leaf
It's going to be my new base with some dark greens and lots of cactus pads along with a grass seed mix that I am going to grow and put in their cages 24/7
Any comments about the diet would be awesome. I mainly want to know how much calcium and D3 to give????

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you cant get too much calcium.. if you get more then the body needs it will be digested out. some veggies have it, cactus is a great source. If you use a supplement a small pinch sprinkled over the food is fine. Too much and the tort may not eat.
D3 you can get too much.. sunshine is the best source.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
The only probably is I live near Dallas and it's been really cold lately , like the 50s so he hasn't had any natural sunshine.
I was thinking of doing this outdoor enclosure of just plywood walls where I get a 160 watt bulb clamped to the side to keep him warm while he is outside so he can soak up sunshine and stay warm at the same time.
I can't use a MVB bulb in his enclosure , the are just too powerful for his current setup which just isn't that tall on the sides, a 75 watt basking bulb is almost too powerful. I have a 10.0 reptisun desert fluorescent tube but I have heard that they are just insufficient so I worry.
Another I idea I had was to get a 100 watt MVB bulb to shine on him while he soaks.. It would help to keep the water warm and to give a very strong reliable UVB source . I soak him a lot, an hour at a time sometimes if he falls asleep I'm it which he does a lot. I never worry about it getting cold because he is always under a light that keeps the water and him warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.