Calcium For Baby Redfoot Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
Hello. So I have a baby redfoot tortoise, and was wondering how often I should give a calcium supplement? I already have cuttlebone available for him at at all times.

Bee62

Germany
Hello. When you feed calcium once a week with the food it will be okay. I am using crushed cuttle bones for baby torts. The small pieces are easier to swallow for small torts. You can feed cooked and crushed egg shells too.
61FKspM0-DL._SX425_.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I personally don't use any supplements for my Redfoots, just a varied diet. I do provide cuttlebone and about once a month I do crushed egg shells.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I have reptivite calcium supplement that I sprinkle on my torts food once or twice a week. Most of the calcium should come from the greens you feed your tortoise however.

In the wild you don’t think the torts maybe only females get extra calcium maybe from the soil or from old eggshells or other spots . Either before laying eggs or after ? Or if they have a growth spurt?
By the way I’ve been raising many torts for 19 years. But was also 16 many many years ago .

Bee62

Germany
I have reptivite calcium supplement that I sprinkle on my torts food once or twice a week. Most of the calcium should come from the greens you feed your tortoise however.
To be on the "safer side" I would always offer extra calcium ( powder on the food or cuttle bones or egg shells ) to a growing tort. Often the food contains too less calcium for a growing tortoise.

Connecticut
In the wild you don’t think the torts maybe only females get extra calcium maybe from the soil or from old eggshells or other spots . Either before laying eggs or after ? Or if they have a growth spurt?
By the way I’ve been raising many torts for 19 years. But was also 16 many many years ago .
Thanks!

Connecticut
Grandpa Turtle 144. Thanks for your advice. That's quite a long time to be raising tortoises. I imagine you have lots of knowledge. Do you know of any good books about redfoot tortoise care, and or websites? I find alot of people have different opinions about redfoot care, etc. I would like to know what most experienced tortoise keepers think about things. Thanks!

Bee62

Germany
Grandpa Turtle 144. Thanks for your advice. That's quite a long time to be raising tortoises. I imagine you have lots of knowledge. Do you know of any good books about redfoot tortoise care, and or websites? I find alot of people have different opinions about redfoot care, etc. I would like to know what most experienced tortoise keepers think about things. Thanks!
You find the best and newest informations about Redfoot tortoises here in the forum. @ZEROPILOT and other members are very experienced with keeping and breeding Redfoot tortoises. Please ask and read here when you have questions:

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/redfoot-and-yellowfoot-tortoises.79/

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I keep cuttlebone in my outdoors enclosures 24/7 but my tortoises seldom eat it.
I do not otherwise use any supplements. Just a very good diet. And the occasional whole, boiled, crushed egg.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member

I agree with @Bee62 this is the best info. Most books are out dated . On here you get the most up to date info. Yes there are people that follow 20 year old info. Or want their torts to fly . But they don’t last long . I’ve been here a long time and the old timers are the ones to follow . Good luck with your torts ![emoji217]

Connecticut
I agree with @Bee62 this is the best info. Most books are out dated . On here you get the most up to date info. Yes there are people that follow 20 year old info. Or want their torts to fly . But they don’t last long . I’ve been here a long time and the old timers are the ones to follow . Good luck with your torts ![emoji217]
Thanks!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I keep cuttlebone in my outdoors enclosures 24/7 but my tortoises seldom eat it.
I do not otherwise use any supplements. Just a very good diet. And the occasional whole, boiled, crushed egg.
We ARE talking Redfoot, right?
There are a few things in keeping them that differ from keeping some other types.