Cactus soil

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In my experience, soil type doesn't matter all that much. What matters is your watering plan. You MUST NOT water a cactus plant until the soil is dry.

For my cactus soil I buy a bag of generic or store brand potting soil. I have a very large container of sand left over from some project or another. I mix the potting soil and the sand about 50/50. I add a couple drops of some sort of emulsifier (dish soap will do) to a bottle of water and I add the water while I'm mixing the two soils together. I always try to re-pot using DAMP (not wet) soil. Then I don't water again until the soil is dry. I have found that if you start with dry soil, then when you water it, sometimes the water finds the area of least resistance and moves through a channel or along the edge of the pot and goes out the hole in the bottom without wetting the soil in the pot. When you start with damp soil it aborbs the next watering better.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
In my experience, soil type doesn't matter all that much. What matters is your watering plan. You MUST NOT water a cactus plant until the soil is dry.

For my cactus soil I buy a bag of generic or store brand potting soil. I have a very large container of sand left over from some project or another. I mix the potting soil and the sand about 50/50. I add a couple drops of some sort of emulsifier (dish soap will do) to a bottle of water and I add the water while I'm mixing the two soils together. I always try to re-pot using DAMP (not wet) soil. Then I don't water again until the soil is dry. I have found that if you start with dry soil, then when you water it, sometimes the water finds the area of least resistance and moves through a channel or along the edge of the pot and goes out the hole in the bottom without wetting the soil in the pot. When you start with damp soil it aborbs the next watering better.
So just regular sand, potting soil, water, and dish soap?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It won't let me view your pics…

I just use native dirt, like yours, as a base and I mix in some sand or sandy dirt and some "garden soil" from the store.

Other times, I just used plain potting soil, plain dirt, or literally just stuck the pads in the ground in various places. I haven't found a way that doesn't work yet. The only place they failed to thrive was inside a tortoise pen when the tortoises bowled over the blocks protecting the cactus and ate it. :)

Like Yvonne said, I don't water a newly planted pad for about a month. I try to start with mostly dry soil too. I have about 40 stands of various types of opuntia and I don't water them at all in winter. I water about once every week or two in spring and fall, depending on the weather, and I water about once a week in summer. If its really really hot in summer, I might water twice a week. I make a basin at the base of each stand and I simply fill the basin and walk away. In TX you will probably get enough rain that you'll seldom have to water ever. Here we go 8 or 9 months a year with no rain at all.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
It won't let me view your pics…

I just use native dirt, like yours, as a base and I mix in some sand or sandy dirt and some "garden soil" from the store.

Other times, I just used plain potting soil, plain dirt, or literally just stuck the pads in the ground in various places. I haven't found a way that doesn't work yet. The only place they failed to thrive was inside a tortoise pen when the tortoises bowled over the blocks protecting the cactus and ate it. :)

Like Yvonne said, I don't water a newly planted pad for about a month. I try to start with mostly dry soil too. I have about 40 stands of various types of opuntia and I don't water them at all in winter. I water about once every week or two in spring and fall, depending on the weather, and I water about once a week in summer. If its really really hot in summer, I might water twice a week. I make a basin at the base of each stand and I simply fill the basin and walk away. In TX you will probably get enough rain that you'll seldom have to water ever. Here we go 8 or 9 months a year with no rain at all.
Well I put one of the Six cactus pads in the ground yesterday and poured a cup of water on it. I'm really just not wanting these cactus to die. Maybe I'm just overthinking it...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well I put one of the Six cactus pads in the ground yesterday and poured a cup of water on it. I'm really just not wanting these cactus to die. Maybe I'm just overthinking it...

When you water them after planting it greatly increases the chances of the pad rotting at ground level. I'd pull it up and replant in dry-ish soil. Wait a month to water. I promise, the pads won't die. I've left pads sitting flat with good ventilation outdoors for nearly a year and then they grow just fine when I stick them in dirt. 110 in summer and 26 on some winter nights. Pads were fine just sitting there exposed, but in the shade.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I cut back my cacti in January. Most of the pads are stored outside on a shelf or table. Makes it convenient for feeding them to my sulcata. I have seen them grow roots and even develop new growth while they sit there on the shelf. No soil, no water, no direct sunlight. Like Tom said, it is hard to do wrong.

Before planting fresh cut pads I let them sit in a shady place until the cut heals. Sometimes I wait until I see some root growth starting before putting them in soil. Usually that takes 4 to 6 weeks. But this isn't necessary. Having soil with good drainage is necessary. Nurseries sell a cactus/palm mix that I like to use. I have used the soil/sand mix that Yvonne suggested too.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have had cacti pad grow on rocks with no water. Do not over water or they will die quickly. good drainage is also important you can buy expensive Cactus soil from the store or make your own 20-80 sand soil mix.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
When you water them after planting it greatly increases the chances of the pad rotting at ground level. I'd pull it up and replant in dry-ish soil. Wait a month to water. I promise, the pads won't die. I've left pads sitting flat with good ventilation outdoors for nearly a year and then they grow just fine when I stick them in dirt. 110 in summer and 26 on some winter nights. Pads were fine just sitting there exposed, but in the shade.
Ok I just took it out. Here's a pic ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481777707.273709.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481777730.700903.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Has it healed? I can't tell.

In looking at that cavity again, I don't like the look of that. I would cut off another inch or so, to get past the depth of the cavity in the end of the pad, and then give it a good couple of weeks to "scar" over before planting. I'm afraid that cavity will encourage rot. Roots can grow right out of the side of the pad, so don't worry about leaving the end or cutting too much. You could literally cut the pad in half, let it scar over, and then plant it and grow a nice cactus stand.

stevenf625

5 Year Member
I saw on the web how someone planted the leaves upside down and it worked.
That way you don't have to worry about the base being under dirt and rotting away.