Butt Scratching

RainsOn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE OK
Hello everyone! Digger and I have not been here much for several months. Our first winter together, I brought him in from his outdoor enclosure to a terrarium where he wanted to hibernate. We got through that with a little tough love, found a variety of things to eat and he seems to be doing well. With the weather breaking, he has spent a couple afternoons in his outdoor digs with great enthusiasm. :cool:

Question: Digger comes out of his hidey hole in the morning - a commercial hollowed half log - you know the kind. After he emerges, he backs up to the edge of the log and wiggles back and forth with his shell (the area where his tail is) and makes a scraping noise. It looks like he is scratching his butt. :D
Any ideas on what he is doing? This should be interesting. o_O

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This may be related to growing. I think the new growth of Keratin gets itchy as it develops. Most turtles will do the Hootchy Kootchy dance when you rub their shell just above the tail.

We haven't seen you posting in a while. Hope all is well.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Yeah!!!! I take this as an indication that he is healthy-? Digger will visit the vet early summer for annual check up. It is so hard to know for sure they are well. I have thought he is taking up more space in my hand lately. I also thought this activity might be related to feeling "romantic". :rolleyes:

All is good. Thanks for asking and how about you? I am a busy person: teaching, working non profit org, art studio and now writing a book. :confused: Had my bike out for a ride last Friday. :cool:

You know the bugs I asked about a few months ago? Well, I left them alone and we seem to have an independent environment going on. When I turn lights on in the morning, the pill bugs run for cover. When I spray the feeding stone with water, those tiny specks scatter. None seem to be concerned with Digger or the plants that are thriving. I keep the stone cleaned off, the water bowl clear of growth and turn the soil regularly to check on moisture and stir up debris. All else seems to be taking care of itself. Once he goes out for the summer, I plan to clean everything good and bring in diatinatious earth along with adding worms to the pill bugs this year.

Story: At his last soak, I was rushed and talking a bit loud and my motions were quick and jerky. I picked him up from the tub, got in his face and said something in a raised voice. He made a noise like a grunt/bark sort of thing. I took it as criticism and quieted my speech and slowed my actions. I always give him a couple treats in his food after a soak (peas, cucumber, dandelion or strawberries) and he has come to expect it. Any thoughts on this sound? Anytime he reacts with a sound, I am totally amused and in love all over again. :<3:

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
LOL LOL HaHa HaHa OMG LOL LOL
I tried it! Curious Had to know!

I rubbed the back of his shell and he did the dance! That is so funny. :) :D o_O :) :D :oops:

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
I don't have a video camera. Times like this I wish I did. Tried to show my husband this morning but his lights had only been on a few minutes and the terrarium was still cool. He dances much better when he is warmer. LOL LOL LOL ;)

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
What a fun place ! ! ! ! !
Love the videos :<3:
Got get a tooth brush for Digger LOL :eek: