My tortoise never stops scratching

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
There are 5 different shipping kits, but the suggested sizes are for lizards, snakes, and geckos. What size would be best to ship Piglet (the Russian tortoise) in? His shell measures 5" from head to tail.
I would use the 8x8x7 box. Place the tortoise in a cloth bag that is tied shut. Pack him in with paper towel or cloth to keep him from sliding around. I would recommend you dropping the boss off at the nearest fedex center that accepts live animals. This is normally a shipping center, the local stores that accept fedex packages cannot accept live animals. On @TechnoCheese s end, ship as a "hold for pickup at facility". And go pick it up so it does not have to ride in a truck and wait for the driver to make it to your location. On the website when you book the shipment, there is a tool to find the nearest facility you can pick up a live animal.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I would use the 8x8x7 box. Place the tortoise in a cloth bag that is tied shut. Pack him in with paper towel or cloth to keep him from sliding around. I would recommend you dropping the boss off at the nearest fedex center that accepts live animals. This is normally a shipping center, the local stores that accept fedex packages cannot accept live animals. On @TechnoCheese s end, ship as a "hold for pickup at facility". And go pick it up so it does not have to ride in a truck and wait for the driver to make it to your location. On the website when you book the shipment, there is a tool to find the nearest facility you can pick up a live animal.
Thank you!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Guess who buttered up their parents into saying yes!
here are a few shipping guides. I recommend using ship your reptiles if you need help

Please let me know if you need me to pay or split the shipping. I can totally cough up some money if need be ;)

I'll DM you my address, and start getting the set up ready! That is assuming you’re alright with this, of course.

I’m sure Curtis, my sulcata, will be more than willing to share his 25 pound bag of mazuri pellets :)
View attachment 295121
I just love happy endings and beginnings.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm reading through the websites now. Just so you know, I've only had him about 5 years so he has a very long life ahead of him. He has never been around other tortoises before, but he is very docile and seems to be good-tempered. Thank you all for your helpful feedback. I did not know what to expect since I feel like I've failed him as a pet owner with my lack of knowledge.
You haven't failed him. You just didn't know. It's really hard to find real information but you did. What's really nice is you'll be able to find out how your little guy is doing. That helps so much when you rehome an animal you obviously care about.

DesertAmy

Las Vegas, NV
I don't see an 8x8x7 box among the options...do you mean Shipping Kit No.1 (7x7x6)? Or Shipping Kit No. 2 (12x9x6). Or are you referencing a different site entirely?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Try calling the kit shipping company, they will ask you to measure the tortoise. You'll need to give a approximate length and height. They walked me through it, even the next day for packaging.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I did like the boxing when I received my tortoise. He was in a small box (just a little larger then his measurements) with paper towels and airholes. All that was in a larger box with packing that kept his box from sliding or moving around. He was packaged in a way not being bounced or no air. But it would be so much better to do a pickup then what I did. My little guy was delivered a day early at my back door in May. Thanks to the Lord my developmentally disabled bro saw my box and brought Saphire inside. Although it was May, there was snow on the ground.

MarthaJaneCanary

Tamaqua
I've had a russian tort for almost 6 years and I can't take it anymore. He NEVER stops scratching. I guess it's because his cage is too small, based on other posts. And I know I can't try and adopt him out on here before I post 100 times. But I don't know what to do with him. He does not bring me joy; all he does is get on my nerves. I want him to have a good life, and I feel like he's not getting that from me since I'm upset at him for scratching all the time. Please help.

View attachment 295095
He can live with me - he'd have lots of room. :)

Cubby67

Reading
I've had a russian tort for almost 6 years and I can't take it anymore. He NEVER stops scratching. I guess it's because his cage is too small, based on other posts. And I know I can't try and adopt him out on here before I post 100 times. But I don't know what to do with him. He does not bring me joy; all he does is get on my nerves. I want him to have a good life, and I feel like he's not getting that from me since I'm upset at him for scratching all the time. Please help.

View attachment 295095
I will take him, I have 3 a 6 yr old a 4 and 3 yr old. If you can't find a home let me know.

SquibblyWibbly

When I was at an apartment in college (2011 - 2013), my Russian would scratch all the time when I had to put her in her tank. Then she upgraded to ramming her shell into the glass, it was maddening. I finally gave up and sectioned off the entire kitchen for her to run around in - 10'x10'. She was so danged happy after that. When I returned back home, my parents were very happy with letting her run loose in the kitchen. Due to a step up in one entry and a closed door in the other entry she cannot leave the kitchen. She has been running loose since 2013 and it's been really good. She has fav spots to sleep in, goes to her placemat daily for food and cuddles with my dogs. More room saved both of us.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
When I was at an apartment in college (2011 - 2013), my Russian would scratch all the time when I had to put her in her tank. Then she upgraded to ramming her shell into the glass, it was maddening. I finally gave up and sectioned off the entire kitchen for her to run around in - 10'x10'. She was so danged happy after that. When I returned back home, my parents were very happy with letting her run loose in the kitchen. Due to a step up in one entry and a closed door in the other entry she cannot leave the kitchen. She has been running loose since 2013 and it's been really good. She has fav spots to sleep in, goes to her placemat daily for food and cuddles with my dogs. More room saved both of us.
That is not a safe or healthy arrangement for your tortoise. They should never have any access to family pets.
Read through these.

Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Bieldesigns

Pelham
So sorry to hear of your baby scratching. That is how I got my baby. Part of it was he could see out he would scratch. We immediately upgraded him, and have several times. Hes a pretty happy guy now. Blessings to you and everyone here!!