Fun in the Mud

Status
Not open for further replies.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Louisiana
Percy who is about 10" now has just discovered playing in the mud. He gets in this very shallow puddle we have that is caused by a leaky faucet. He gets in it and pushes it on his back.

I think it was SO CUTE!

BUT does this mean he may start of burrowing?

His hide is on cement - hot cement bc we live in Louisiana and it is 105* today. BUT he spends his day grazing all over my backyard that has shade too.

So what do yall think - will he start to burrow?

M

Maggie Cummings

I crack up when Bob throws mud up onto his back...he has no fingers tho, so how does he do it???

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
janiedough, I have heard like Maggie said that Sullys love the mud and do love to throw that mud onto their backs. It may be just a way of cooling down for him rather than burrowing.

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob loves playing in the mud, or water. He will get under the sprinkler and try to throw the water up onto his carapace, or sometimes he just sits in the sprinkler and does the Sulcata Hootchie Cootchie dance. Every Sulcata does the dance in water. Bob does not dig and has never seemed interested in digging a burrow, so I wouldn't worry about that if I were you, wallowing in the mud isn't the same as digging a burrow...

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
he keeps doing - but no burrowning yet

he is so cute!!!

i went on vacation for two weeks. I swear he grew an inch while I was gone! He constantly has new growth on his shell - but it is even toned in color and his shell is still really hard and not pyramiding from what I can tell. I can't wait to measure him at the end of the summer.

When I got back to my house, the first thing I did was go to feed him some flowers and he came out his house and I backed up - it was like damn! And of course as he came out of his house all the way I noticed the clumps of mud on his back. I love him...

Status
Not open for further replies.