Hatchling burrowing

BowDownBowser

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
My two week old hatchling is very active. He eats like a champ and loves to explore, but often when i look for him i notice that he has burrowed him self deep into his coco coir substrate. I know that sulcata's burrow, but is there a such thing as too much burrowing? The temps are from 95-82 on average with a 100 degree basking area and humidity around 80 percent. It's been hard to keep humidity since i've been using foil temporarily as a closed chamber but today i plan to finish the lid to my closed chamber to hopefully keep the heat and humidity more stable without having to constantly check it.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Hatchlings will burrow mostly to feel safe. Out of mine right now, I have two that burrow and three that don't. I wouldn't worry about it yet, doesn't seem like a problem. Now if he keesp it up for the next year or so, you better expect a backyard full of holes when he gets older! :p

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
His behavior will change SO much. I have five of them. At first they never burrowed, now all of them do it a little. They never even went into their hide, now all of them cram in there as soon as the lights go out. They used to climb the walls and flip over, now they don't. Enjoy all the little quirks and capture as many of them as you can. Check out Elohi's videos of Freckles. That one actually climbs on top of the hide and dives off! darnedest thing you will ever see! Does it over and over and over again like a kid on a slide. Like Greg says, if he is burrowing now, look out when he weighs in over 100 - 150 pounds!

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
My little girl NEVER burrowed. 7 months old and she just now started to burrow a little bit. go figure.