Burrow or shelter?

Big Bert

We have rescued a 105 lb Sulcata. He prefers his burrow over the heated shelter we have for him. Should we just leave him alone? It got down below freezing last night, and it was a challenge to crawl into this burrow, and muscle this giant creature out. I thought I was going to have a heart attack doing so. Please advise..Big Bert.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area

Big Bert

Mac already has a night box! That is my problem. Once the door is open, be moves his 105 pound tortoise self down into his burrow! Then I have to crawl on my belly, down the incline, and move him out of burrow into night box. I about had a heart attack doing that last night.

He is not some little tortoise. He is ZOO size.

Big Bert

Maybe I will just put an electric space heater down in his burrow with him. Try laying head down, on an incline, on your belly, and move a 105 pound tortoise. It is a very difficult maneuver.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They need to be in a heated night box or shed or room of some sort over winter. Outdoors in a burrow on our cold North AMerican nights is not good for them. Some are able to survive it in some parts of the country, but it is not "good" for them. If your night temps are dropping below freezing, you are not in such a place.

I let my older torts use burrows all summer long, but as soon as things begin to cool in early fall, I block access to the burrows and start making them use their heated shelters again.

Big Bert

That is what I think too. Our soil is like concrete out here in the foothills, so I had a guy on a back hoe dig him a nice burrow. Mac has his own FB page, Mac the Giant Tortoise. Check it out!

puffy137

Maybe I will just put an electric space heater down in his burrow with him. Try laying head down, on an incline, on your belly, and move a 105 pound tortoise. It is a very difficult maneuver.
Bert , can't you film this lol:D:D:D

Big Bert

I went out to get Mac, and to my amazement, he had left the burrow and went in his shelter. He always lays on the pig blanket. Monday I have a contractor coming out to do some work on his shelter. I do find it odd that he is not wanting apples. He is usually an apple devourer.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the :tort:forum! I agree with Russian/sulcata/tortoise as far as temperature is concerned: please take care as torts like very warm (if not hot) weather. I'd love to see a picture of your tort.

Big Bert

A warm welcome to the :tort:forum! I agree with Russian/sulcata/tortoise as far as temperature is concerned: please take care as torts like very warm (if not hot) weather. I'd love to see a picture of your tort.
I want to post picture, but don't know how to do that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bert, and welcome to the forum!

You sometimes have to put a tortoise into their house at night for several nights in a row before they get the idea to go in on their own. I have desert tortoises and a sulcata (in different yards). I used to allow the desert tortoises to have a burrow in the summer, but it was hard to "catch" them all on the outside of the burrow in the fall so that I could block the entrance, so I filled it in. Now all they have is a shelter built in the shade. My sulcata never dug a burrow, thank goodness. He has always used his shelter.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you have your "reply" box open, and are ready to post a picture, go to the bottom of the screen and click on "upload a file" this takes you to all the pictures in your computer. Choose the one you want to add to your post, and when it has loaded, click on "full size." It's really very easy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I went out to get Mac, and to my amazement, he had left the burrow and went in his shelter. He always lays on the pig blanket. Monday I have a contractor coming out to do some work on his shelter. I do find it odd that he is not wanting apples. He is usually an apple devourer.

Apples are not good for them. No fruit is good for them. Too high in sugar and it really messes with their intestinal flora and fauna. Lack of appetite in a sulcata is a very bad sign. It means they are, or have been, being kept too cold. A pig blanket alone is not going to be enough in below freezing weather, unless you have a really big mat and a seriously well built, sealed and insulated box. You need to fix this problem right away. The links posted above should give you some good ideas about what works well and what might work best for your situation.

Big Bert

There is another heater in his box other than the pig blanket. Tomorrow, a handyman is showing up and improving the Mac Shack. We want to keep him warm, but not cook him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some people don't approve of "lights" at night (Tom?) but I use a black light hanging from the ceiling of my sulcata's dog house. He has a pig blanket on the floor and a 60watt incandescent black light hanging from the ceiling. It was 30F last night and his dog house was 78F. (I block the door shut at night to help keep the warm air inside.)

In a smaller type shelter, like a dog house, you have to be VERY careful that the hanging heat source is not too close to the back of the tortoise. Cooked scutes will eventually fall off, exposing bone underneath.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is another heater in his box other than the pig blanket. Tomorrow, a handyman is showing up and improving the Mac Shack. We want to keep him warm, but not cook him.

Awesome. Insulation and silicone sealant are your friends in this case. A good thermostat is also essential. The thermostat will always keep the temperature where it belongs. And the sealant and insulation will keep that precious heat where you want it, so you will need to burn less electricity to make it.

Bert is a handsome fellow! AZ? Some alfalfa is okay, but I would be careful with too much for an adult male. Make sure he stays very well hydrated with such an elevated protein diet. I prefer orchard grass hay and/or Bermuda hay.