Building an enclosure

ShreddersMom

Location (City and/or State)
Eastern Maryland
Hi guys! So excited to say that Shredder will finally be getting his new indoor enclosure. We are starting to collect items. Looking for any tips, hints, tricks, etc. We are looking at getting plywood that will be built into a basic box, but with plexiglass doors making up most of the top. His light and CHE will hang from the ceiling at one end, giving one end a cooler end. The plywood will be lined in a thick plastic sheeting, so as to keep the wood protected from the increased humidity and to aid in keeping the humidity at a higher level. It will also allow for easier clean up. The front will also likely be made from plexiglass so we can see into him at eye level. It will likely be roughly four feet wide by six feet long, and approximately two feet tall. This will be just his indoor enclosure. His outdoor enclosure will be started when the weather here breaks.

Any suggestions? Dos? Donts? Things you learned the hard way? I'm open to any and all information you have to give!

DevilDogDoc

I just built my last weekend and painted it with Drylok. Very happy with how it came out. I would Rory about water getting under the plastic and rotting the wood where you can't see it. I used glass for the front myself as I read the plexiglass will warp from the heat and moisture. This is mine. It's note curved just a panoramic shot my kid took image.jpeg

ShreddersMom

Eastern Maryland
Drylok isn't dangerous for them? He digs so much that I would be worried he would scrape some off and it would hurt him. We have every intention of sealing the edges of the plastic lining. Good to know about the glass. I will keep that in mind.

ShreddersMom

Eastern Maryland
I'm assuming you use the latex and not the oil based version, correct? I worked at a hardware store many years ago, and if I remember correctly, it comes in those two versions. We will definitely be dryloking it. Any other suggestions?