1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

New enclosure help please

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by MaryJane, Jan 10, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. MaryJane

MaryJane New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Bloomington, IN
    I am building an enclosure for my girl indoors (for now). She is 20# and 16 inches long. Her enclosure will be 6 1/2 feet by 9 1/2 feet. I need large scale heating ideas please. We will most likely hang the uv and heat from the ceiling. Thanks all!
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Location (City and/or State):
    Clovis, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Boy that's rough. A sulcata that big will be pretty hard to contain in an "enclosure." They do much better with free space indoors. In my opinion, six by nine is nowhere near big enough. She should have a whole room.

At any rate, you'll have to heat the room the six by nine enclosure is placed in, not just the enclosure. A lot of us use the oil filled, electric radiator type space heaters. It would be slow to heat up the room, but works nicely once the oil is heated.

[​IMG]
    Cowboy_Ken likes this.