Looking for pointers on building the right indoor home for my sulcata

melissah

Ok I have a friend that's going to build a new indoor home for my 1yr old sulcata. I'm looking for pointers and things not to and must dos. If that makes sense. Do we need different lights for day/night? Whats the best humidity level? Best substrate? Please give advice :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Ok I have a friend that's going to build a new indoor home for my 1yr old sulcata. I'm looking for pointers and things not to and must dos. If that makes sense. Do we need different lights for day/night? Whats the best humidity level? Best substrate? Please give advice :)

They grow so very fast, I wouldn't go to any great expense on the new quarters. He'll only be in them for a few months.

melissah

Ok so my Armstrong, as best I can measure, is 7in side to side, 9in head to tail and roughly 10in top to bottom. The friend I got him from when she saw him recently said he's huge compared to the others from his same hatch she's seen. So size wise I'm sure Armstrongs ready to move outside, however due to current living situation outside isn't the safest idea. So I'm looking to make him happy and comfortable inside till summer then we'll be moving and I can find some where with better space for him. Last night I got the new substrate so the pellets are gone :) now we gotta work on his home.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's really too big for any practical "enclosure" indoors. Sounds like its time to convert a whole room for him and keep it heated and moderately humidified.

Where are you? Why is it unsafe outside?

melissah

He's really too big for any practical "enclosure" indoors. Sounds like its time to convert a whole room for him and keep it heated and moderately humidified.

Where are you? Why is it unsafe outside?
I live in a condo community. The "backyard" is tiny, the fence is very old and blows over in the slightest wind, the neighbors on the other side of the fence have two dogs that constantly are in my yard and the yard folks spray for ants all the time. So I'm not to sure about the outdoor space being safe for him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in a condo community. The "backyard" is tiny, the fence is very old and blows over in the slightest wind, the neighbors on the other side of the fence have two dogs that constantly are in my yard and the yard folks spray for ants all the time. So I'm not to sure about the outdoor space being safe for him.

Yep. In this case, I have to agree with your assessment of "unsafe".

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Soooooo is there any inside solutions?

Yes. Convert a room, put plywood 18" up the walls to protect them, heat and humidify the room, add a bank of lights for a basking area and a good HO type UV tube for UV. Orchid bark will be good for substrate as it is not dusty as long as you keep it damp. It can be found in bulk at a local garden center or nursery.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
You should start keeping pieces together though. your sulcata will need outdoor soon enough cause they get bigger fast.