building a new tank for my redfoots

highlandpiper10

5 Year Member
hey i'm building a new tank for my redfoots

i decided to use a water filter to keep their pool/drinking water clean, we all know how much they love to poop in their water lol

my question is should i use De-chlorinated water and use bio media to clean the water or is that unnecessary
i could use the sponge filters to get rid of the plant matter and keep the water clear but i'm not sure the about the smell

here is a rough sketch of what i came up with so far
terraruim.png

the black stand is a vanity my grandfather made before he died

ps. my tortoises are still small but this massive tank should last them a few years

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
It seems to make sense in the drawing. I wouldnt bother with dechlorinated water or any of that because it does not really matter, especially if it is cycling through things will evaporate. I would definitly use a bio media to catch all the stuff you dont want going back into the water. My only conern is the water pressure on the return end. If its to strong it might deter the red foots all together. You also dont want it falling from the top or that will be a noisy disaster in my opinion. I am curious to see how this works out for and i love doing DIY things like this, but i feel that cleaning it out by hand may just be easier (still try it though i want to see the end result).

highlandpiper10

5 Year Member
Ah ya i plan to put in a foam rock wall that the water fall will trickle down the noise should be minimal

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've tried filtering pools and little puddles and it's never been enough. Maybe your experience will be different, but it's just too much pooing and drinking and contaminating the water with debris of every kind. If you could incorporate a drain, it would serve you better IMO.
I DO like the thought that you've put into this. I just wanted to tell you that it's been my experience that filtering Redfoot water is futile.