Adding a second level to a glass tank

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
Hey guys!

I'd like to add a partial second level to my 75 gallon tank, which currently houses my 9 month old Hermanns Littlefoot. He seems like he is getting a bit bored with his current setup, and I'd like to give him a bit more space.

I'm not an especially handy person, but think I can manage a project like this with some help.

Since this isn't like a table where I can just nail everything together, I'd like some ideas on design, so that it's nice and sturdy and safe. Not sure how much it being semi-buried in substrate would help with that. Also, suggestions for products (type of wood, sealers, etc.) are appreciated. We would like to do this fairly inexpensively.

I'm also thinking of possibly planting the top level with something that can trail downwards over the edge to make underneath a hide-like area, so suggestions on that are welcome too. I'd like to do this on the "cool" end of the enclosure where his water dish is, and was thinking of somehow building his water dish into the bottom, surrounding it with pebble tiling/flooring to help keep the water clean.

My other idea is maybe a bit more than I can handle, but I'd appreciate input on both building and practicality. This would be going along the short end of the tank. I thought about having the traditional ramp/upper level setup, but having a wall go all along underneath (or even the whole height) that was covered in a pebbley tiling and making a sort of water feature. Water comes out the top, trickles down the wall into a shallow pool at the bottom (drinking area), and pumps up to the top. Is this feasible? Do I need to worry about it clogging with dirt or poo? Could it be done relatively inexpensively? He just never has seemed interested in his water unless I'm filling it up, so I thought this might work to get him to drink more.

Thanks guys!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Your idea of using the pebble tile stuff is brilliant. I've seen it where the pebbles are mounted on a flexible, waterproof type mesh. Just brilliant,(for a girl). For the upper level I'd use regular silicon sealer to attach something like 1"x1" pieces of wood to the glass. Then you could attach your upper level to that. This should give you a solid base for building the top section. Hope that made sense, (I mean I'd understand the confusion, you being a girl and all.) LOL

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
HAHAHAHAHA, Ken, you jerk! :p LMAO...

See, I was thinking of something with legs like a table...hadn't thought of siliconing things on to the side. That would hold? I'd be worried it would peel off or something.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Silicon has great holding abilities. I've used it myself for attaching wood to glass. Not for what you'd be doing it for, but for other more complicated things that I'm sure your pretty little head wouldn't understand.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Qnd non ✈️❄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

Elohi(Earth)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
So I did a quick rough (crappy) sketch of what I was thinking as far as the design with the water feature goes. I was limited by 8.5x11 paper and ran out of room for my ramp LOL. All sides except one would be up against glass, so I'm not really sure why I put that one railing on the top level...I only need the front rail...so, yeah, ignore that. XD The bottom reservoir area would be buried and fairly flush with the substrate, so he can just walk right to it. As crappy as this is, hopefully it gives people an idea what I'm talking about. :)

Attachments

• WP_20140522_16_04_28_Pro20140522160747.jpg
    WP_20140522_16_04_28_Pro20140522160747.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 62

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I don't like to use any wood in my closed chambers...but that's just me.

I'd use PVC or plastic shelving or even a rubbermaid tub. I've used that in the past...I turned the tub upside down, cut a door way in the wall which made the underside a humid hide, then built a ramp leading to the top. It worked and mold was never a concern.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I was just planning on sealing the wood. This enclosure will probably last another year, tops, so I don't think the addition needs to be especially long lived.

I'll use waterproof/resistant materials when possible though.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
a rubbermaid tub. I've used that in the past...I turned the tub upside down, cut a door way in the wall which made the underside a humid hide, then built a ramp leading to the top. It worked and mold was never a concern.
And another great idea…and another girl came up with? Wow is all I've got to say…wow!

Last edited by a moderator:

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I used glass as shelves to make hide areas for a impressed tortoise in a home made glass enclosure last winter. used wood to support the glass shelves on 3 edges, and glued some nylon mesh on the top of the shelves for traction. made the ramp out of crape myrtle limbs wired together by drilling holes through each piece. I know this is nothing near what you are working on, but it may give you ideas of other ways to do it. This enclosure is no longer being used and is in the process of being dismantled as you can tell by the pic. I sorta laid this together to give you an idea. the tile to the right is heated.jPicture 022.jpg jPicture 029.jpg