Bringing home a greek!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Well, ironic that I have Greek in my heritage, I have finally found my first tortoise.

I am traveling almost 4 hours to pick him up, but it is worth it. Included with the tort is his old enclosure which is very nice! I am completely psyched, and waiting for an email response about when I can pick him up from the person on Craigslist.

I am going to spend tomorrow afternoon setting up a nice outdoor enclosure for him, and buying him some kale and other veggies.

What is a good way to get him comfortable with me? I want him to feel at home. Considering his indoor home is coming with him, that should help, right?

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
My Greeks are the absolute coolest! If you have any questions just send me a private message.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
colatoise said:
My Greeks are the absolute coolest! If you have any questions just send me a private message.

I 2nd this, I know a fair bit about Greeks to lol I do own 3 so if you have any questions, just ask!! I've helped out before and I'm happy to help out again dan

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats. How exciting for you. However, the best way to get help on any questions, is to post a thread. A pm to someone, really only gives you their one opinion on how things should be done and doesn't help other members on here that might learn from you. That is why this forum works so well for everyone, everyone shares their questions and lessons.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
The Greekest ;) tortoise is Testudo marginata- just a tiny spot in Albania, but the rest is in central and South Greece.
In terms of distribution, Testudo hermanni boettgeri is all over Greece. Also, it is the hardiest for humid areas.
"Greeks" can vary from very sensitive North-African Graeca forms, moderate sensitive Middle-East forms (closely related to Ibera), and Ibera- in and around Turkey, eastern Balkans, Caucasus Mts.- the toughest, but not like Boettgeri. Only in NE- Greece.
It was better to ask an opinion before buying it, to get a hardier form for your location. Don't want to disconcert you or spoil your joy, just to make you aware about choices you have. If not Boettgeri, I would recommand at least an Ibera. Hopefully, you could have bought an Ibera!

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
5N95I25E13L53F43H5c762a3a845f3e341952.jpg
Which subspecies would you say he is?

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Maryland/DC
Nixxy said:
Which subspecies would you say he is?

I dunno about the subspecies but can we see a pic of your enclosure? What did you use to make that ramp?

Status
Not open for further replies.