breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

borjawil

10 Year Member!
Ok so looking to get another tortoise soon and I would like the experience of breeding. I have a sulcata currently and was thinking of getting another or possibly a box or redfoot. My question is, is it irresponsible to breed a sulcata? Many people buy them and then realize they cant keep them due to size and such. many are neglected and in rescues. But so many are sold every year. how many is in a turtle clutch any ways?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
It's just my opinion.......what about another species, there are so many sulcata's out there already and alot of shelter's won't even take them. What about pancakes? They are super cute and have beautiful markings, I of course know nothing about them, just a thought, I think they are gorgeous! I think it's great that you even asked that question! Good for you and do your research!! Good luck with whatever you decide!

borjawil

10 Year Member!
well as i said i was interested in boxes or redfoots, or even greeks. Just wondering about the sullys. Seems like ill stick with another species. Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This has been a hot topic in the past. Some very heated discussions have taken place over it. I feel that its fine to breed any species as long as its done responsibly and the babies are properly taken care of.

Having said that, the world does not need more sulcata breeders. They are quite prolific and lots of people are already doing it. Also, because sulcatas are so dammed aggressive about everything, its not as easy as just finding a female and putting her in your yard. The males can be downright abusive. If he doesn't kill her right away, the long term constant harassment probably will. They need to be kept in groups of several females per male. Everyone who keeps them in groups has to very carefully work out a balance among them. I know a guy who gave his male to someone with lots of them and plenty of space, and it systematically killed off all the other males.

Anyhow, I think most would agree that you'd be better off trying to breed ANY other species. BTW, I should have some baby sulcatas for sale next Spring, if you want any... hahaha

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I am a breeder and I agree with Tom so much on this. People always are bringing me sulcatas they do not want or find loose/let go. I have several good resources for them, but it can be challenging at times. I will say that being a breeder is way more involved than having a tortoise as a pet. However it is also very rewarding.

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
I would have to Agree with Tom as well...There are so many sulcatas. You find them anywhere, Plus like you stated they do get large and many people buy them not knowing this and donate them or try to. So with that being said if you would like to try to breed i would choose another species. How about russians..they have great personalities. and they stay small so you are able to house them easier... Just read up on the species see whats right for you, and read up on the breeding. I have contemplated it to, with my russians. but for right now just researching the idea :)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Another +1 for Tom. That about sums up my opinion on most "overpopulated," and especially "productive" animals--Sulcatas, Bearded dragons, Colombian boa constrictors, and "giant" constrictor snakes being a few. There are more than enough people already breeding them, for whom, in many cases, it is already becoming hard to find good homes (or even just homes) for all the offspring. If every person who has two or more of one animal breeds them, before you know it, these borderline overbred animals will be in a position reminiscent of stray dogs, cats, and Red ear sliders. It's the same reason I won't breed my bearded dragons, even though I have a male and two females that would be more than happy to oblige.

If you wish to breed, start looking at the smaller, easier to maintain species, especially those that need the captive breeding effort--species like Russians, Hingebacks, and the assorted Box turtles that are mostly wild-caught. You can satisfy your interest in breeding while, at the same time, taking a little pressure off the wild population by offering a healthy, captive bred alternative to the unhealthy pet store animals. It's a win-win!

borjawil

10 Year Member!
I figured this is the response i'd get. I was just wonderin'. Any who Im going with a redfoot, box, or greek. Still looking at habitats, husbandry, etc. Thanks for the info and advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.