Is my male sulcata successfully breeding?

Rhinos17

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I've got a question and haven't seen the answer after searching on here so hopefully you can help me.

I've had a couple of female Sulcata's for a several years now and I decided to add a male with them so I can breed them. My females are 18 and 21 inches and the male I recently got is 22". Anyways he goes through the normal breeding behavior and mounts them and starts grunting, however I've never noticed his penis come out. He's been with them for two months now also and he's tried mating with them pretty frequently. I have Russian tortoises and I know when the male breeds I can see his penis if I look for it while he's mounting the female. I've also seen my friends red foots breed and I was able to see the male's penis. What I'm wondering is, because, I know tortoises are supposed to be well endowed... shouldn't I be able to see his penis come out while he's mounting the females? He stays on them and grunts for awhile and I can see his tail to go line up under the females shell, but not once have I ever witnessed anything come out...

My question is how do I know he's successfully breeding or not? What signs do I need to look for?

Please help inform me as I am new to breeding Sulcata's.

Thank you everyone.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't help you much except to say I have never seen my male leopards penis either when he is mating my female, but I did have fertile eggs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I've got a question and haven't seen the answer after searching on here so hopefully you can help me.

I've had a couple of female Sulcata's for a several years now and I decided to add a male with them so I can breed them. My females are 18 and 21 inches and the male I recently got is 22". Anyways he goes through the normal breeding behavior and mounts them and starts grunting, however I've never noticed his penis come out. He's been with them for two months now also and he's tried mating with them pretty frequently. I have Russian tortoises and I know when the male breeds I can see his penis if I look for it while he's mounting the female. I've also seen my friends red foots breed and I was able to see the male's penis. What I'm wondering is, because, I know tortoises are supposed to be well endowed... shouldn't I be able to see his penis come out while he's mounting the females? He stays on them and grunts for awhile and I can see his tail to go line up under the females shell, but not once have I ever witnessed anything come out...

My question is how do I know he's successfully breeding or not? What signs do I need to look for?

Thank you everyone.
Hello and welcome to the forum. You won't know that he's getting the job done until your females lay eggs and those eggs hatch. Many sulcatas take a good year or two to get up and running. First time moms often take a season or two to get all that egg production machinery going.

Did you know that under ideal circumstances a female sulcata can produce over a hundred babies a year. What will you do with 200 babies? Do you have the means to move that many?

This thread might help when the time comes:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
some times it takes time... Like the other tortoises you can see if they have made a connection or not.

Rhinos17

Hello and welcome to the forum. You won't know that he's getting the job done until your females lay eggs and those eggs hatch. Many sulcatas take a good year or two to get up and running. First time moms often take a season or two to get all that egg production machinery going.

Did you know that under ideal circumstances a female sulcata can produce over a hundred babies a year. What will you do with 200 babies? Do you have the means to move that many?

This thread might help when the time comes:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

Yes, I'm aware of the amount of babies they can produce each year. It's definitely a lot! I have some plans put together so I can move them and find them all new homes. Thank you for your input and the link about incubation. I've read it and will use it for reference when the time comes that my females lay eggs.

Thank you for the replying.

Davesulcatas

Thank you everyone.

Davesulcatas

Hi my name is dave up in canada I have 5 sulcatas and it is hard to see if male is actually penetrating her but I saw mine doing his duty he mounted her and grunted for 20 minutes then he went quiet but still in mounted position no more grunting so I was able to see he definatly was inserted and he stayed on her another 15 mins with no noise then he finally separated I think the grunting sound is a stimulating for her then she excepts him any one else agree