Sulcata tortoise hatchlings

Ibdeni

Location (City and/or State)
Yuba city
I have a clutch of Sulcata tortoise hatchlings available. Very active and eating great. Located in yuba city, California, about an hour north of Sacramento. Please let me know if you have any questions. We are a small family home with three rescue tortoises, not a breeding farm. I have a great outdoor enclosure and can answer many questions. Call or text 530-681-8059

Attachments

• D8C2E9EB-2FB5-466D-BF05-40CFFAE59605.jpeg
    D8C2E9EB-2FB5-466D-BF05-40CFFAE59605.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
On the West Coast Sulcata are like feral cats and nobody pays for them except for newcomers who don't know...what are you asking for one?...also, right now there is a fatal disease being passed around, mostly in Sulcata hatchlings it seems...look under Sulcata here and read the yellow spot thread...it's fun having so many hatchlings...but they look like it's pretty dry in that tank...should be close to 90% humidity and 85 degrees...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a clutch of Sulcata tortoise hatchlings available. Very active and eating great. Located in yuba city, California, about an hour north of Sacramento. Please let me know if you have any questions. We are a small family home with three rescue tortoises, not a breeding farm. I have a great outdoor enclosure and can answer many questions. Call or text 530-681-8059
Few people start this species correctly and the result is often death weeks or months after the sale. May we know what your routine is for soaks? What are they fed? Do you do a brooder ox for a week or two after hatching? What media were they incubated on? How much time do they spend outside?

If the answers are favorable, I will try to help you sell them and send people your way. If not, I'll try to help you and the tortoises.

Ibdeni

Yuba city
Thank you. These babies very hatched in vermiculite media. They are soaked daily in warm water for about 20 minutes. Kept in a brooder box with heat light on one side and UV light on the other. Taken outside daily but only while supervised to prevent predators from getting close. They are fed a variety of greens including dandelion greens, collard greens, zucchini, ect with a small amount of calcium powder on top. While I am not an expert by any means, I did have a previous clutch that were primarily adopted by friends and family - they are all doing great! Thank you Tom.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. These babies very hatched in vermiculite media. They are soaked daily in warm water for about 20 minutes. Kept in a brooder box with heat light on one side and UV light on the other. Taken outside daily but only while supervised to prevent predators from getting close. They are fed a variety of greens including dandelion greens, collard greens, zucchini, ect with a small amount of calcium powder on top. While I am not an expert by any means, I did have a previous clutch that were primarily adopted by friends and family - they are all doing great! Thank you Tom.
That all sounds pretty good. I'll send people who ask me where to get a baby your way.

A few things that will help:
-Its critically important for the people that buy your babies that all sorts of "natural" foods are introduced in those first few days and weeks. Mulberry leaves, rose of Sharon, grape leaves, spineless opuntia, grass, clover, broad and narrow leaf plantain, mallow, etc... As many new things as you can find.
-Calcium should only be supplemented once or twice a week. More will cause an imbalance and make them into rock eaters.
-I recommend keeping outside time down to no more than an hour for hatchings.
-There is no heat and light in a brooder box set up. Its just a container kept in the incubator, or somewhere similarly warm, for the first 7-10 days while they absorb the yolk sac and the umbilical scar closes up. What you describe sounds like an enclosure.

You say you are not an expert, but you are already doing better than most of the people who think they are. :)

Ibdeni

Yuba city
That all sounds pretty good. I'll send people who ask me where to get a baby your way.

A few things that will help:
-Its critically important for the people that buy your babies that all sorts of "natural" foods are introduced in those first few days and weeks. Mulberry leaves, rose of Sharon, grape leaves, spineless opuntia, grass, clover, broad and narrow leaf plantain, mallow, etc... As many new things as you can find.
-Calcium should only be supplemented once or twice a week. More will cause an imbalance and make them into rock eaters.
-I recommend keeping outside time down to no more than an hour for hatchings.
-There is no heat and light in a brooder box set up. Its just a container kept in the incubator, or somewhere similarly warm, for the first 7-10 days while they absorb the yolk sac and the umbilical scar closes up. What you describe sounds like an enclosure.

You say you are not an expert, but you are already doing better than most of the people who think they are. :)
Thank you! I should have specified that they are never outside for more than an hour. And the calcium is not used daily. I will start adding a more inclusive diet to include natural foods. I feed my large sulcatas lots of grass, grass hay and leaves but hadn’t thought of doing that with the babies. I will start right away. Also, they were kept in a seperate container in the incubator for about 5-6 days after hatch while they absorbed told sac then moved into new environment. I don’t think I adequately answered that question

Reactions: Tom

Ibdeni

Yuba city
Thank you! I should have specified that they are never outside for more than an hour. And the calcium is not used daily. I will start adding a more inclusive diet to include natural foods. I feed my large sulcatas lots of grass, grass hay and leaves but hadn’t thought of doing that with the babies. I will start right away. Also, they were kept in a seperate container in the incubator for about 5-6 days after hatch while they absorbed told sac then moved into new environment. I don’t think I adequately answered that question

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Understandable. You are new to our community and I came at you with al sorts of questions. Sounds like you are doing an excellent job and I'm glad you are here. I've learned the hard way not to assume people are doing things optimally, so now I just ask. Thank you for answering. Hope you find great homes for your babies, and I will try to send people your way.

Ibdeni

Yuba city
Understandable. You are new to our community and I came at you with al sorts of questions. Sounds like you are doing an excellent job and I'm glad you are here. I've learned the hard way not to assume people are doing things optimally, so now I just ask. Thank you for answering. Hope you find great homes for your babies, and I will try to send people your way.
Thank you Tom. I have had juvenile and adult sulcatas for the past 20 years but never hatchlings until recently. I am continuously learning new things to make my shelled kids happier.

Reactions: Tom