Breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwindman

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I do not want to breed my male sulcata but I want to know is there any harm that can be done if he is not ever bred; Will he become aggressive because he is very sweet and loves to have his neck rubbed; Can someone that is a expert in this tell me it is okay not to ever breed.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Yes, it's okay for them to never breed. He will not become aggressive because of not breeding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Perfectly fine for a male. Sad and lonely, but no health risks. Just kidding. Its not really sad and lonely for a tortoise.

There is some risk of females becoming eggbound. I don't understand all the details surrounding this. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes they just lay infertile eggs. Sometimes they just never lay. I should post this as a question. I'll bet some of our really experienced keepers would know more about this.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I have asked this question before, and am glad to have it addressed again. I'm concerned with RV possibly becoming eggbound. She's about 10 years old, has never shown any inclination to dig or lay eggs - so what is breeding maturity for her? Should I have any concerns that she isn't showing the need or urge to lay eggs?

btw ~ RV loves her neck rubs too!

teri

Status
Not open for further replies.