Brand New Eastern Box Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMacNeil

5 Year Member
Tony2.jpg

So I know this is really frowned upon, but I just took an Eastern Box turtle from the wild today. A few months ago I almost ran one over in the road, so I stopped and helped it cross, when I noticed the pattern on its shell. I took a picture and then went on my way. Today, the same thing happened only it was the same turtle from a few months ago. I know it's a bad idea to take turtles from the wild, but this one apparently has a death wish. I'd much rather see him safe and well fed in a nice enclosure in my back yard, then as road kill someday when I'm not there to help.

Anyways, I've been doing research all night, looking up diets, activities, things to put in the enclosure, but I'm new to this so really any kind of advice will help. His shell is about 5 inches long from front to back. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Mike, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm assuming that eastern box turtles are native to where you live? If that's the case...

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with taking the box turtles out of the wild. You have now just shortened the gene pool and made box turtles one step closer to extinction in the wild. There are many captive bred box turtles available for pet owners.

The only advice I can give you is for you to take that box turtle back to where you found him and put him off the road and back in his own territory.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I am also sorry, as I agree with Yvonne. I understand your concern and get why you think you should have taken him, but wild really does need to stay in the wild. You should take him back to where you found him and in the same area, but further away from the road. Other then that, I can't really help in the diet or housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.