Box turtle with RFT?

shelloise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada
I don't think that a box turtle and a redfoot can live together but a person I spoke with today was positive they can? They are very different in personalities too, the rft is layed back and the box turtle is very active.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One of our members raised a box turtle with a RF tortoise for several years before they got set up outside in separate habitats. They do require very similar living conditions. And TerryO mentioned that her RF tortoise seemed to miss the box turtle once they were separated.

I couldn't find TerryO's thread about it, but she makes a comment in this thread, post #5:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-21328.html

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I raised both my Cherry Head's with a box turtle. They both require the same environment, low light and warm humidity. I got both from excellent breeders, and they were both a few months old when I got them and put them together. They lived together for over three years until the box turtle went outside in my turtle garden, and the Cherry Head went in the tortoise garden. I did this with both Cherry Heads, and everything was fine. I wouldn't put them together if they were older and of different ages, or were rescues. They were only together because they started out the same age. When I separated them, the box turtle couldn't care less, but the Cherry Head would not eat for days and kept looking for the boxie. The second time I did this with another pair, when I separated them, neither one seemed to miss the other that much, and both adapted fine outside. Not saying it's the right thing to do, just what I did. I know a few people who did the same.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
My redfoot is most likely 5 or 6 and the box turtle is around 11 years old, so that wouldn't work out with the difference in age? The redfoot is twice the size of the box turtle.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I would not put them together at that age. Mine grew up together and when the RF's started to get bigger than the box turtle I seperated them. Also when I got them at a few months old there were clean and I knew who they came from.

WilliamB

The biggest question I would say is how the pen has been setup. It is possible to setup a pen so that they do not bother eachother too much by breaking the line of site and making sure there are lot of hiding places. If the pen is setup properly I do not think it will be a problem to keep your turtles together but be ready to seperate them again if needed just to be on the safe side.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
darn, to bad, I was thinking it could be great having them together. Right now they have separate enclosures in the house, the climate does not allow 1/2 the year for outside pens

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would never mix species. Some people get away with it, but some people have their tortoises die from the practice. Best to leave them separate.