box turtle water filtration-Team Gomberg/anyone else!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
I am fostering two female Eastern box turtles for a local Reptile Rescue.
I used to have a box turtle, and am considering adopting them.

I have a medium Waterland land tub that I got off of Craigslist for $75, a lucky find.
I have added a bulkhead drain with a shut off to the water side to make draining easy into a 5 gallon bucket.
They say the water side holds about 3 gallons.
Of course, with this set up, you can't lift it out and change it. I thought about setting a container down in that side, but it would be large and quite awkward. Thus, the drain.

Questions:
*could I add a filter (connect to drain and recycle back into reservoir)?
*Or should I use something like this connected to a sink (I'd get off of Amazon)?
http://www.petco.com/product/2762/P...thon-_-78115&gclid=CLzvxo3A07sCFViVfgodDxgAXg
*any other suggestions?
Just trying to make this a bit easier since box turtles love their water! :/, and I work longer days a couple of days per week and have trouble changing their water on time.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I love the Python. It is my best friend with anything aquatic. I highly recommend it. Purchase the hose attachment and your water goes straight down the drain and fill up is easy.
I can elaborate more on this if you'd like. :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
ok.

How is the water area for the turtles going to be set up? You say it's only 3 gallons, right? Will you use any substrate at the bottom? How deep will it be?

If it's fairly shallow and a bare bottom then I'd suggest you use the hose without the gravel siphon. Connect the hose to the sink and drain all the water. Flip the switch so to speak (close the sink attachment) and re fill the water portion. Do this every couple of days. You'll get a 100% water change with no buckets, spills or mess.
Just connect the hose and all the dirty water goes down the sink drain. Then the fill up is just as neat. If you choose to condition the water you can just add that into the water side while it fills up.

I'm not sure how the water will smell during the few days until you do the next change. But even if you had to do this every day or every other day, that Python is awesome and easy. I have 2 125gallon tanks I use it on weekly. I used to use the exact same one to clean a 30,000 gallon salt water exhibit. So it's great for big or small :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I might put in a few small rocks, but yes, basically it will be just the bottom of the Waterland tub.
Thanks for the information, that sounds a lot easier than what I am doing now! :p

WilliamB

Team Gomberg suggestion is a very good solution and virtually identically to the type of solution I would choose in this situation. The only difference is that I would suggest that you rinse the water section with fresh water to get all the crud out before you close the tub valve and fill it up again. This will keep the water cleaner for a longer time and avoid the risk of any smells returning too quickly.

I would keep the decoration in the water section to a minimum since it really makes it easier to clean. A few rocks to give them somewhere to hide and make it easier to leave the water section is a good idea but too many just create too many places for dirt to gather. Keep cleaning in mind when you place the stones to make sure that you avoid creating dirt traps, ie corners or small spaces where dirt get stuck and can be hard to get out without moving the rock.

If you use a setup like that and change all the water regularely you will not need any extra filtration.

Consider using a declorinator when you add new water or spray the water from a little height to airate it well ( airation removes clorine). I really do not think the levels of clorine found in a lot of tap water is good for our turtles.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Thanks so much, WilliamB. I will also check out your link.

The nice thing about the waterland tub is that the 'bump' between land and water area has built in treads, so I can keep 'decorations' to a minimum.
Right now I have to change out the water about twice per day. Once they are in the waterland, the larger amount of water mean I can do this less frequently, but we will see.
With the drain, removing most of the water will be easy. about 1/3 inch remains due to the lip of the drain not being flush with the floor. (Architectural boo boo). :p
So I can use the Python to finish removing water, then convert to a hose, swish it out and then refill. :)

Plan to get them outside come Spring!