Box Turtle Question

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
Hi, I am new to this group. Anyway, my question is, I have two box turtles, one I have had four about six months, the other two days. Do box turtles have to be soaked? If so, how about in the winter? I am still working on improving their pen. I plan on putting plexiglass sides on it to improve humidity and temp. I live in Youngstown, Ohio and my house is a little on the cool side in the winter. These are both rescued turtles. One is a wild one from Louisianna and the other is tamed. The one that was wild will only eat worms and the new one was fed dried dog food (witch will be changed as soon as I can get her to eat something else). She is scared of the worms! I tried some romain lettuce but she scooted away from it to, like she was scared. Right now the wild one is dug into the substrate but comes out occasionally . The new one is all over the cage.
Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cheryl:

Your turtles really should be set up outside. They're much better off out there, and it's good for their mental well-being. I'm surprised the wild turtle eats in captivity. It is known that wild turtles are pretty hard to keep.

Yes, soak your turtles every day, and in the meantime, get something they can self-soak in. A paint tray works well.

I don't think a "cage" is the right container for turtles. Can you get a very large plastic tub for them (that is, if you can't set them up outside)?

I don't cater to those that won't eat everything. I offer food they should eat, and if they don't eat it, too bad. Each feeding should include a food item from several food groups. For example, include a protein, a vegetable and a fruit, or a protein, a fruit and a green leafy vegetable. By varying the kinds of food you give your turtles, you are increasing the chances that they will get the mineral and vitamins necessary for good health. You also lessen the chances of them fixating on just a few foods, plus it is natural for box turtles to have a varied diet.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Temps get below freezing here and sometimes below zero. So would that be too cold?
Also,as for the pen. I am going to put plexiglass for walls and cover. Just have not gotten to this yet. When I an done it will be more like a terrarium .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty sure there are box turtles native to Ohio.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Well, what species are they? Can you provide pics? Where/how did you acquire them?

No matter the species, you don't want to set them up outside yet. Wait tip spring. They need to slow down gradually. It is too late in the year.

Give us more info/photos and we can help you further.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Well, what species are they? Can you provide pics? Where/how did you acquire them?

No matter the species, you don't want to set them up outside yet. Wait tip spring. They need to slow down gradually. It is too late in the year.

Give us more info/photos and we can help you further.

One is a three toed, the other is I think, a gulf coast box turtle. The gulf coast one was hit with a machete , No obvious injuries. The three toed, I just got. It was the one fed dog food in a very small aquarium.
The gulf turtle was found in Louisianna.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I know someone who keep 3 toeds outside year round in PA and another person who keeps Gulf Coasts outside year round in NJ. It can be done with thoughtful planning and enclosure design. You could keep them outdoors in the warm months and bring them in every winter, too. Either way, they can't go outside until next year, since it is currently 33 degrees F in Youngstown :)