Box Turtle Food

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
Ok, I know, I ask a lot of questions! I have two box turtles, one gulf and one three toed. Rapheal, the gulf box, will only eat worms, April, the three toed, well she was only feed dry dog food before I got her. I have been trying to change up their diets. I caught April eating tomatoes the other day. Anyway, I have some store bought roses, can I give them the peddles off of these? Will it hurt them? I also have tried some romain lettuce and they do not touch it. Please give me some other greens or ideas of what they can eat. I have already checked the care sheet.

Thanks

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, from what I have read on here many times from experienced keepers, is that it is NEVER a good idea to feed any roses or other type of plants that are found in store-bought flower bouquets. Flowers raised for this purpose are usually heavily fertilized and srayed with all kinds of pesticides to have them market ready. You don't want to feed your turtle such items.

Berkeley

Box turtles are not big on greens or rose petals. That is more tortoise food. Mine eat a variety of fruits and vegetables (pretty much any non-citrus fruits, and squash, sweet potato, pumpkin, grated carrots, etc) They also eat Mazuri Freshwater Turtle chow and pinkie or fuzzy mice. They live outside year round so they eat whatever bugs and worms they find outside too.

--Berkeley

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Fyi, gulf coasts are a bit more carnivorous than the other boxies so it's no wonder he favors his worms. I agree that box turtles are not big on greens. Just keep offering various veggies and fruits, eventually they will nibble. Try chopped apple, cantalope, and grated squashes. No rose petals. And remember, a good 50% if not more of a box turtles diet will be protein.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Thanks all, for the help. Lisa 127, I noticed you are fro NE Ohio. So do I. I live in Youngstown. Do you leave your box turtles out all year round?