Box turtle outdoor enclosure

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
I am trying to figure out were to plan my turtle garden . There are no leaves on the trees so it's hard to tell right now how much sun the areas I am thinking about are getting. My house is surrounded by trees but there are some open areas in my yard . It is very shadey.The problem is I don't want to be to far from the house because I want access to the hose and the open area is further away.We own acres so i want it large. Is it important to have direct sun areas all day? If not how much part of the day should the turtle have access to direct sun or are they ok in the shade still being outside.
My first choice is in my front yard where I can look out the window. There is a maple tree that they would love the fall leaves. It would be the smallest area though 15ft by 13 ft. The other two are larger areas I am thinking would be 22 ft by 22 ft. And one larger area has an oak tree. The other area is close to the house but very shaded but easy access to the hose.
Another concern is a larger area will be hard to cover. Those of you with large turtle yards do you have problems with predators if it is fenced in?
I am planning for two females and a male 3 toed turtles . It is humid and rains most of the year. There is usually a month or two of a dry summer where I may need to hose to keep them happy. Thanks!

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Ok just read in another thread oak trees are poisonous so that eliminates that area .

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Box turtles like direct sun in the morning. They also like shade, so make sure you have plenty of it. But I would put the enclosure in a part of the yard that gets morning sun.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
My turtle garden get full sun all morning up until about 3 in the afternoon, and then it starts to move away. But they have plenty of plants to sit under for shade. They are usually up in the morning to warm up before eating, and then come out again in the late afternoon to eat again, and are dug under to sleep by night fall. It's a small garden, just about 22 ft. by 6 ft., I think, although it's big enough for the females to hide or get away from the males....very important IMO.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Would the area in the front yard be secure from other humans?
I like the idea of the area near the hose, but sounds like there isn't even a patch of sun?

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
lynnedit said:
Would the area in the front yard be secure from other humans?
I like the idea of the area near the hose, but sounds like there isn't even a patch of sun?

Yes, it would I have a large fenced in front yard for our dogs so it would be a fenced area in side a fenced in area. I am also hoping the raccoons will stay away. They have never entered the dogs area so i think that would be a benefit. I just need to make sure the dogs cant get the turtles.It does get sun there but I will have to watch to see how much morning sun when the maple gets its leaves back. I have a swing on a deck that would just be a few feet higher then where I want to put the turtle garden so I can sit there and enjoy them or see them from the window. It also has access to the hose easily. I guess I will have to wait until spring to decide I can't plant anything now anyway. I can't wait to begin the turtle garden.
Thanks everyone!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
And I do think it is wise to watch the sun pattern in the area you pick so you don't regret the spot you pick later on!

mikeh

5 Year Member
I wouldn't worry about the oak three, priority would be morning sun. They are very early risers looking bask in the early am sun to get to operating temps preferably while soaking in water.
Second, more space is always better.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I have my turtles in the front because the morning sun. They do get leaves in their enclosure but I have not had any problem thus far.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Thanks you guys have helped a ton and have given me direction. The sun rises from my back yard so I think I remove a huge Pine tree it will get full sun. My hubby is going love me as I add to his honey do list lol.

There is a rhododendron bush there. I know it's poisonous for goats so I an wondering if it is the same for box turtles.

This has been a great help. Thanks again!

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Thanks I think I am going to cut it down it seems not a good bush to have with animals.