Outdoor Housing of Young Eastern Box Turtle

Kim K

Location (City and/or State)
Salinas, California
Hi All,

My name is Kim and I’m new to this forum. I recently acquired a young Eastern Box Turtle that’s about 3 inches, head to toe. He/she is doing great and has already grown a little. I currently have it inside in a nice habitat.

I would like to build it a raised outdoor enclosure where it can stay permanently for the next couple of years. After that, I will give it a larger enclosure on the ground.

We live on the Central Coast of California and have a fairly mild climate. My question is this: where is the best placement for it? My North side gets almost no sun in winter. South gets a lot of winter sun. I don’t really have a place on the east side and west has areas, but sun is filtered by shade of small tree and bushes.

Also, when building outdoor habitat, should I provide an extra heat source? Am thinking no, but not sure as it’s small. Habitat will have a heavy screen top of course. Last thought... would it be better to just keep it inside until it gets bigger? I can do that if needed. I just thought it would enjoy being outdoors in a larger, more natural environment.

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas! ?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
south , you can always make shade , you can't make the sun .......

Kim K

Salinas, California
south , you can always make shade , you can't make the sun .......

Thank you Mark! I just thought of something else... I’m wondering how many inches of subtarate I should have for It outside? Also, do you think regular packaged potting soil would be OK to use? It likes to dig in the soil I bought from the pet shop. It probably has about 4 inches in the indoor habitat. Thank you so much for answering!

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
personally outside i'd use the ground itself , they do use the ground to thermoregulate ....... if you raise it up i'd recommend just put dirt on top of the natural ground , so they have access to the natural ground......... i do have pens that are raised using landscape timbers filled with topsoil ......your climate is very different than mine .......... eastern box turtles are not especially deep diggers ......... a border 4-5inches deep will keep them in , honestly i think 3inches deep would keep them in ............

Kim K

Salinas, California
Thank you Mark! I just thought of something else... I’m wondering how many inches of subtarate I should have for It outside? Also, do you think regular packaged potting soil would be OK to use? It likes to dig in the soil I bought from the pet shop. It probably has about 4 inches in the indoor habitat. Thank you so much for answering!

By the way, I did read the care sheet on this site. It was good, but still looking for more opinions... Thanks!

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
You are in California and thinking you need a heat source? Mine live outside in Eatsern PA, and hibernate underground in the cold months. I do not provide any heat for them. they live outdoors all year long.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Congratulations Kim, You are golden on the CA coast, just keep a watering area that is soft and moist for her/him as they like a decent amount of the humidify that you guys lack. They thrive in the 90% humidity we have here in MD and little Matilda who is currently living indoors gets around 75% in her home. I try not to make it too humid simply to prevent the fungi that will grow in her indoor home.

Kerry and I went up to Lake Waterford ....and saw a beautiful yellowbelly baby, maybe 2.5 inches long....resting on a log, about 45 feet from where I caught my very first turtle(as baby red-ear).....around 55 years ago....LOL

The point of telling you this is; Turtles make fantastic pet with zero downsides.....and that appreciation can easily last a lifetime....

jeff

K1LOS

Ontario
Ideal would be where the enclosure can get morning sun IMO. My outdoor enclosure only gets afternoon sun unfortunately.

I built mine 8x4' with 3 2x6 boards high. Those are screwed into 4x4s for support. More 2x6s overhanging the interior and exterior as capboards on top which should prevent any chance of climbing out (I think/hope). I staple gunned chicken wire to the underside of the enclosure to prevent anybody digging in or out. The enclosure was leveled (mostly) with stone dust on top of the backyard grass, then filled probably 8" deep with a soil and sand mix. Then I planted the enclosure with plants that would be non toxic should he choose to have a nibble (I researched on the tortoisetable site). The hostas are his favourite, recommend planting some of those.

Attachments

• IMG_20200927_142627.jpg
    IMG_20200927_142627.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14