Box turtle laws

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Where can I find the Ohio state laws regarding box turtles? Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm not sure where to find them. But I've been told we need a permit to keep the easterns. They would also need to have pit tags. There is no problem with us keeping three toeds, gulf coasts, ornates.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
lisa127 said:
I'm not sure where to find them. But I've been told we need a permit to keep the easterns. They would also need to have pit tags. There is no problem with us keeping three toeds, gulf coasts, ornates.

Hhhmm....I've tried googling the laws, but not exactly sure what I can trust and what I can't. I know when I was a kid, Easterns were all over in the pet stores. That's how I got mine. But since then, I think the laws have drastically changed in Ohio.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Did some quick searches for you. Pay attention to your Fish & Game Department, Dept of Wildlife or State Government laws and regulations.

Here are a few that may help:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Default.aspx?tabid=15493

Calling your local Dept of Wildlife office might get you plain language answers to your questions. IF I understand this correctly, it looks like you'd need a license to posses wild caught Eastern Box Turtles, but not need licenses for any other breeds of Box Turtles or Captive bred Eastern Box Turtles.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
My advise would be . Do not go looking for problems , sometimes the mentality of gov/state workers is at best clerical ( it's hard to explain what I'm trying to say) I'll take another aproch , there are highly educated herpetologist ,biologist and scientist on this board that still can't always tell what type of box turtle we have .three toes that look more eastern ,easterns with three toes , intergrades , hybrids ,crosses and back crosses . Just keep your mouth shut . Don't be at the whim of a small minded ,uneducated official and the particular mood he's in that day.(a little power can be dangerous). Evan the laws are written so vaugly that no one understands or can explain them ,as numerous post have discussed . (Who on here hasent ordered less than 4 inch turtle ?...) just be quiet, don't go looking for a problem , it could be expensive ,very. There is a post on here regarding the spirit of the law as opposed to the letter of the law (it was about relocating what was thou to be a rare desert but turned out to be a sulcatta ) please people you don't want the government in any of your bissiness.look what they have done to the country so far . I'm super rushing ,just be quiet .

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
edwardbo said:
My advise would be . Do not go looking for problems , sometimes the mentality of gov/state workers is at best clerical ( it's hard to explain what I'm trying to say) I'll take another aproch , there are highly educated herpetologist ,biologist and scientist on this board that still can't always tell what type of box turtle we have .three toes that look more eastern ,easterns with three toes , intergrades , hybrids ,crosses and back crosses . Just keep your mouth shut . Don't be at the whim of a small minded ,uneducated official and the particular mood he's in that day.(a little power can be dangerous). Evan the laws are written so vaugly that no one understands or can explain them ,as numerous post have discussed . (Who on here hasent ordered less than 4 inch turtle ?...) just be quiet, don't go looking for a problem , it could be expensive ,very. There is a post on here regarding the spirit of the law as opposed to the letter of the law (it was about relocating what was thou to be a rare desert but turned out to be a sulcatta ) please people you don't want the government in any of your bissiness.look what they have done to the country so far . I'm super rushing ,just be quiet .

I can't even describe in words how much I completely understand what you are saying. Thanks edwardbo!

TigsMom said:
Did some quick searches for you. Pay attention to your Fish & Game Department, Dept of Wildlife or State Government laws and regulations.

Calling your local Dept of Wildlife office might get you plain language answers to your questions. IF I understand this correctly, it looks like you'd need a license to posses wild caught Eastern Box Turtles, but not need licenses for any other breeds of Box Turtles or Captive bred Eastern Box Turtles.

Thank you! I appreciate it! I'll check out the website.

Don't think I'll call anyone. I don't want to provoke an official who MIGHT be, like edwardbo said, small-minded or in a "mood".

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
After hearing of 2 local herp club members who had their entire tortoise and turtle collections CONFISCATED BECAUSE THEY DID NOT FOLLOW THE STATE LAWS, I am more determined than ever to make sure I comply with our state laws. Whether I like the laws or not and whether they make sense or not is irrelevant: the law is the law and OUR ANIMALS PAY THE ULTIMATE PRICE FOR OUR DECISIONS.

Here in Louisiana I called our county Agriculture Extension Agent. He was very helpful. I wasn't happy with some of what I found out, but I KNOW the laws and will have the peace of mind that NONE of my animals will ever be confiscated or "put down" because of my thoughtlessness.

Someone wiser than me once said "My most expensive lessons in life were paid for with the currency of someone else's pain."

Best wishes, Bea (aka Moozilion)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
This is a huge difference between engaging those clerks, and having a basis of knowledge about how that clerk may react to what you want to do, Yes?

I think that is why people are asking, "here", and not "there".

Though with an ever vigilant, or invasive even, big brother, "here" might not be so safe either. But then that also includes how and why you ask your question, as it is stated anywhere, "here" or "there".

No such thing as being to informed, but perhaps to trusting of this medium, or that clerk would not be good.

I don't believe it is ever a good idea to openly condone breaking any law. Whether it is an animal possession issue, stealing electricity, smoking certain plants etc. All such open public conversations are plainly the demonstration of not being able to learn a simple lesson. There is another word for that.

How many more news stories about the accessibility of everything on the internet need you 'hear' about, read, or otherwise have exposure to, to convince you that being discrete is wise.

Just saying, learning via curiosity is always a well accepted reason to 'find out' something, without a stated intention of doing that said something.

Will

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
FYI - I'M NOT BREAKING ANY LAWS. Just very curious as to what my state's laws are because everyone always says, "Know your state laws".

I think I know what mine are, but wanted to check and be certain that my thoughts are indeed correct.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
gieseygirly said:
FYI - I'M NOT BREAKING ANY LAWS. Just very curious as to what my state's laws are because everyone always says, "Know your state laws".

I think I know what mine are, but wanted to check and be certain that my thoughts are indeed correct.

Good due diligence is always a good idea. Good job! Will

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I know what you mean- it can be tough to figure out FOR SURE what the laws say! Even after I went to the Wildlife and Fisheries website and read the law, I was still not clear what it meant. That's why I ended up calling our Extension Agent! Good luck! :D

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
CapturedSerpant said:
DNR website is usually the best place to look!

What's DNR stand for? Someone at work told me a good place to check is the government endangered species site.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
To make it simple and know I'm doing the right thing I have so far just kept three toed box turtles and gulf coasts in Ohio. I've always wanted an eastern, but being in Ohio I have not gotten one.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
If I read it correctly, if you can prove you got them from out of state it is not an issue. With the $40 license you can keep 4 of each of the animals on the one list that are native and as many captive bred or out of state as you want. Texas is so much simpler. Native boxies are 6 per person per household. Non native is unlimited and texas Tortoise is flat out not allowed. I am not breaking any laws here but I must say, not once have I ever got a knock on the door from someone checking my turtle situation. Just sayin.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have so many friends with box turtles here in NY, where they are illegal to own. No one has ever bothered to get a license/permit, and no one ever bothered them. But all you need is one fight with one nosy neighbor, and if they report you....puff....your animals are confiscated. That's why I renew my license each year. Why take a chance.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
TigsMom said:

You are right about not needing a license for the other subspecies of box turtles. But in Ohio, you need the license for even captive bred easterns.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
lisa127 said:
TigsMom said:

You are right about not needing a license for the other subspecies of box turtles. But in Ohio, you need the license for even captive bred easterns.

Lisa, do you need a license for any eastern or just the ones you can not prove where aquired from out of state? Wow the laws are confusing! It is a shame that because they ar this confusing, even if one is right, by the time that is determined it might be too late for the poor turtles!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
You need a license for any easterns. I was confused on the laws as well. I finally just contacted a local breeder in my area. He breeds just a few reptiles. Mostly colubrid snakes but also florida and gulf coast box turtles. I figured he would know the laws. Or should I say, make them less confusing for me...lol. So he is where I got my info. from.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
lisa127 said:
You need a license for any easterns. I was confused on the laws as well. I finally just contacted a local breeder in my area. He breeds just a few reptiles. Mostly colubrid snakes but also florida and gulf coast box turtles. I figured he would know the laws. Or should I say, make them less confusing for me...lol. So he is where I got my info. from.

So the $40 license allows you to have 4 but if you can prove you got them from out of state you can have more? I am so glad I live in Texas. So much simpler until you get to the point where you actually have to identify the species. That is where it gets confusing. So many turtle pops overlap that there are sub species on top of hybrids breeding with other subs.... No way they can keep it straight without DNA testing, lol.